Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ rear quarter window replacement help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default ZJ rear quarter window replacement help needed

My passenger side rear quarter window was broken out by a TV I had in the back while going around a corner. I found a replacement at a junkyard for $50 that I'm going to get tomorrow. Does the window attach with just some kind of adhesive or are there screws that anchor it as well? How do I take off that trim piece that is on the outside? Do I just pry it off or do I need to take off the interior trim on the inside to get to some fasteners? Also, I need advice on removal procedure in the junkyard. What tools should I take with me? What adhesive do you guys recommend when I put the new(salvaged) window back in? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Attached is a picture of the current situation.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM

bump
Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

Not sure how to but the junkyard cars are the best to try it on. Try the other side of the glass first.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

remove the trim on the inside and you'll have to work the rubber out of the body. the window is in the rubber. no adhesive. remove from the inside out, starting with a corner. you'll figure it out easy enough.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:36 AM

The window glass is inserted inside the lining rubber and you can easily replace it by just pulling it out...
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 PM

Any tips on putting the new window back in? Since there is no adhesive it must be packed in there pretty tight. Should I use dish soap to make it easier to slide in? I've looked on google for advice on this process but can't find any resources. I saw the guy on wheeler dealers use a long string in the seal and as he pulled the string out of the seal it pulled the seal into position. I don't remember exactly how he did it though and I can't find the episode.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by caged
remove the trim on the inside and you'll have to work the rubber out of the body. the window is in the rubber. no adhesive. remove from the inside out, starting with a corner. you'll figure it out easy enough.
I picked up my window today from the junkyard. It's the right window but there is adhesive all around the inside edges that I need to clean off. Are you guys sure there isn't some adhesive involved in the process of installing it? This is for a 1996 jeep grand cherokee orvis edition. From the exterior the window matches mine in appearance perfectly so I'm pretty sure I got the right window.

Last edited by Zappacat; 11-28-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

if it is just surrounded by a rubber seal, soap will help, install the glass into the seal
then wrap some heavy string /cord around the outside of the seal, leaving about 6"
of both ends hanging out. Get a helper and set the glass into the opening making sure the seal is in correctly (at the bottom) and the string ends are on the inside.
Have your helper hold the window in place, put a slight pressure inward while you're on the inside pulling the strings -- slowly, making sure the the lip is being pulled over the window opening.
Hope I didn't make this sound to confusing. It may take you a couple of tries to get the hang of what you're doing. Good luck.

Last edited by PatriotGT; 11-28-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

First of all, why were you in such a hurry to speed away from where ever it was that you got the TV from?

I don't know anything about how the windows are held in place, but I did the string trick you refer to when installing the windshield into my first car, a 1968 VW Beetle. You put some good strong string in the channel of the weather strip all the way around and overlap it at the ends by about a foot. Have a friend hold the window against the frame from the outside and hold light pressure against it while you slowly pull the string from the inside. This will pull the lip of the seal over the metal frame. We didn't use any soap to lube it up and got it perfect on the first try. We also didn't use any adhesive or sealant and never had any leaks, but it wasn't required on that window either.

Like I said I have no idea how your window should go in, but that's how I did the string trick you mentioned. If it were me, I'd cut the window out of the junker and then carry it to a professional for them to install, since I would think the glass would be the most expensive part.