Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ZJ 5.2l serpentine belt squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default ZJ 5.2l serpentine belt squeal

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ with the 5.2L V8. it sat for a year before i started driving it again. before it sat it had a bunch of work done to it including a new serpentine belt. before i started driving it again i had to replace the battery. one i started it up the belt squealed really bad. I also ended up having to replace the alternator as it was bad. after replacing the alternator the squeal quieted down but still hasnt gone away its rather annoying. i also ended up replacing the power steering pump. I replaced the belt tensioner thinking that was the issue but it wasn't. i am starting to get pretty frustrated because i cant pinpoint where the squealing is coming from . I have noticed when the hot weather hits 85 and up. once the jeep is warm the belt stops squealing at idle, but instantly squeales at any sign of throttle. has any one on here had this problem before, or any advice? its greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's entirely possible that by letting it sit for over a year, the belt dried out and lost it's frictional properties so it won't grab the pulleys with any force. Try a new belt.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0

Really the most common reason for squealing is the belt itself. You have replaced a lot of components on the front of that engine. Are you sure, you got all the right parts? Are they all lined up properly? Fastened properly? Anything else binding? AC compressor binding? A bearing can squeal but they usually also make noise at idle and also when hot but could also be a source of the noise such as the water pump. I'm trying to remember the configuration of those engines, doesn't that tensioner also have an idler on it? Just throwing some stuff out there for you to check. I know Chrysler did have issues with the clutch/coil assembly on the AC compressor that can make similar noises. Replacing the belt is a relatively inexpensive repair. I realize you just did a yr ago but ya never know. As Dave mentioned it could be bad from sitting. If you do have a binding condition, that new belt will likely be toast in a short time anyway so, getting another new belt just to try isn't going to hurt. If it doesn't fix your problem immediately, go back to the old belt until you find the issue, when fixed, replace with new belt.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Try to find a Goodyear Gatorback belt. They are the best. Trust me, I know from hard experience.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

Thanks ill be looking in to a new belt and rechecking everything ive replaced.