Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Zip! Nada!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Zip! Nada!

Came out this morning and tried to start my '04 GCL 4.0 and had absolutely no power anywhere in the vehicle. When I turned the ignition back to "off" every dial on the instrument cluster started bouncin' all over the place with a very distinct clicking sound coming from under the dash right next to the fuse box, that only stopped by me either turning the ignition back to the "on" position or by removing negative cable from the battery. Any hints or suggestions as to what may cause this? By-the-way, I just changed out the fuel pump and fuel filter last week.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

Did it rain last night? I had an issue in one of my vehicles related to water getting in through the firewall during a car wash or after a rain.

-T.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 AM

Default Nope!

My GC is garage kept.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:35 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check your battery for volts, clean all the cables and grounds you can find. It's possible the battery shorted internally overnight. When you turned off the ignition, the body control module was trying to use whatever voltage was still getting thru for the dome lights and other stuff. Charge the battery with the cables disconnected and see if it takes a charge.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up Problem Solved?

I talked with auto electrician yesterday and he just kind of laughed when I told him of my dilemma and it being with a GC. He pointed me to the boot in the drivers side door that houses the wiring for the auto' door locks, auto' windows, etc. and in particularly the black ground wire which seems to cause all kind of related and unrelated problems. Sure enough it was frayed and sitting against another frayed wired (drivers side auto' window). I fixed the problems, then I thoroughly cleaned the posts on my battery and the cable terminals and zip, zap, zowy! I'm up and runnin' again! No reoccurrences as of yet and I've deliberately gone out and started my GC a few intermittent times and it comes right to life. Thanks for your response though! It's good to know there are folks out there willing to help those of us that are mechanically challenged...