Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No spark, nada..

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No spark, nada..

So over the last month my moms 98 cherokee , Aw4, 4.0 has has an intermittent starting issue. I recently put on a new alternator due to the stock one seizing up, put on the new one and it started up and ran perfectly normal. Next day go to take it out and it just cranks and cranks. I start checking normal things, loose connections, corrosion, nothing worked. Checked the cps and I got infinite resistance, also check for fuses, all are good. Pulled the cps to visually check it and noticed the wires were loose going into the plastic so i got a new one, still no spark. I put a test light on the coil and had my brother crank it over, the light comes on but is very dim. Pulled the coil to check it, on the primary post i got a reading of 1.2 ohms, on the secondary I got a reading of 12,000. Put it back and checked for voltage going to the coil and I got 10 volts out of the green/orange wire. Also check voltage coming out of the coil and got 10 volts as well. I know I need 12 volts. I also swapped out my asd relay with my fuel pumps and no change. Can anyone tell me what to check next? Would the cam position sensor have anything to do with this? I cant find any broken wires and all my ground look perfectly fine. Any help is appreciated..
Old 12-04-2015, 05:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Clean your grounds, everywhere. Especially the one on the coil bracket. Bright shiny clean metal, then lube it with dielectric grease or NoAlox.

How are your battery cables?