Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Overland

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L HO
Default WJ Overland

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm a current Jeep owner (05TJ) but was looking at moving into a WJ for the extra family room. My TJ is built up a little and I go wheeling just a couple times a year, so I was hoping to build up the WJ as well (and selling the TJ).

It seems that the Overland is the best platform to start building on to get me a very capable trail rig with with something like a 6" lift and 33s and not much else. This will likely be a daily driver and be on the street 98% of the time. My question is this: is my thinking correct? Are there any drawbacks to build up an Overland versus a Limited with a V8?

I'm leaning toward the Overland because of the QuadraDrive system. First question that came to mind was whether the rock sliders on the Overland make 33s a tough fit (assuming some trimming will be necessary)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Crickets?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 V-8 and 4.0 6 cyl.

There really is no difference between the WJ overland and Limited. The overland has real wood trim pieces, sewn in overland badging in the floor mats, and badging outside. I have a 02' limited with heater leather, sunroof, premium sound, dual climate, quadra-drive system, and the high output 4.7.
IMO the overland is not worth the higher price you pay, it is basically a fully loaded limited.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM

I don't have a lift in either of my WJ's but it seems that the "daily drivers" don't put a lift larger than 4". Seems like a lot of "death wobble" comments, so look into that before slapping a 6" lift on.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM

WJ Overland-image-1397535469.jpg
Got this here I think, kind of a nice tire size/lift breakdown.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM

Thanks guys, not completely settled on 6" yet. I've seen some with 4" and 32s that have an attractive stance. I usually stick to easy trails anyway so maybe that's enough.

While we're talking about it, you guys have an opinion on the Iron Rocks Offroad long arm lifts? Some folks were recommending the Clayton kits, but they are so much more expensive. The IRO kits seems to be an easy install as well.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

If you do get the WJ, you gotta do a build thread on here. I wish i went with the WJ instead of my XJ, don't get me wrong I love my XJ. I just like the WJ's a bit more. These two video's will convince you to go with the 6" and 32" tires (i think).
I keep watchin' these & they make me want to sell my XJ & Buy a WJ...

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...herokee-part-i

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...erokee-part-ii
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
If you do get the WJ, you gotta do a build thread on here. I wish i went with the WJ instead of my XJ, don't get me wrong I love my XJ. I just like the WJ's a bit more. These two video's will convince you to go with the 6" and 32" tires (i think).
I keep watchin' these & they make me want to sell my XJ & Buy a WJ...

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...herokee-part-i

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...erokee-part-ii
Definitely good inspiration. I like the Rusty's Offroad lift. Very beefy.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:06 AM

So what is the general opinion on the Quadra Drive system? From what I understand, this is just adding the VariLok axles, which are limited slip. I currently have a Ford 8.8 under my TJ with LSD and it doesn't do as well as I would like.

Is this VariLok LSD different than regular LSDs? Is it good enough for mild-medium wheeling to not need selectable lockers? The price difference between a V8 Limited with QuadraTrac II and the Overland with QuadraDrive is much smaller than the prospect of adding selectable lockers to a Limited.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by vtxGump
So what is the general opinion on the Quadra Drive system? From what I understand, this is just adding the VariLok axles, which are limited slip. I currently have a Ford 8.8 under my TJ with LSD and it doesn't do as well as I would like.

Is this VariLok LSD different than regular LSDs? Is it good enough for mild-medium wheeling to not need selectable lockers? The price difference between a V8 Limited with QuadraTrac II and the Overland with QuadraDrive is much smaller than the prospect of adding selectable lockers to a Limited.
the quadra drive system is light years ahead of the regular lsd system it varies the torque front to back as well as side to side,if necessary it will send 100% of engine power to the wheel with grip.