Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ oil pan replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Post WJ oil pan replacement

Hi, I'm new here and was using the forum to find out about replacing my oil pan on my 04 WJ. I want to add a few things that I found out to help the next person unfortunate enough to have to replace the pan.
1. Get the jeep up on stands as high as you can, I used the pvc ramps I have in the rear to raise it 6 inches, then I jacked the front one side at a time just behind the lower trailing arm, I had to use a piece of 4x4 added to the jack plate since my floor jack would not get it up high enough. Be sure to locate the 4x4 and jack directly under the jack point to avoid any problems. I have real good jack stands but they were not high enough either so I added three pieces of 2x12 screwed together under each jack stand, being careful to align everything nice and straight before lowering the car to the stands. Check out the stability by rocking the jeep to see if all is solid, if it is then crawl under the car.
2. Cut the exhaust pipe that goes between the y pipe and the muffler, it's way easier than trying to remove it from both the y pipe and the muffler, I cut one end just behind the y pipe and the other just in front of the muffller, I was able to use a sawzall to cut thru just the single layer of pipe to remove it, you will have to rent an exhaust pipe expander that will accomodate a 2 1/2in. pipe (Autozone had one) to expand the muffler flange. You will find that the pipe is between $12-15 at most parts places and cheaper online.
3. You will not have to remove the starter, at least not on the 04 model, I'm not sure why it's in the manual to remove it.
4. Get some PB Blaster or some other penetrant to spray on the y pipe to exhaust monifold bolts, wd 40 won't cut it on this job. Use a plastic straw on the spray tip to minimize the spray and help get it were it's needed. The bolts are metric with nuts on the top side that have little triangle sheet metal tabs welded to them, very handy when you go to reassemble the exhaust. I would recommend going to a dealer to buy all new ones, since one out of four of mine broke, or if you follow some other threads advice and cut the bolts, you will definately want new replacements.
5. The pan bolts come out easy but the plastic clip the holds the trans fluid lines to one pan stud will need to be replaced, (another dealer item)unless your lucky but mine was just too brittle to reuse.
6. I know it says the pan gasket/windage tray is reuseable (BS) but after battleing mine free from the pan (it comes free from the engine block easy), I was glad I bought the new Felpro set.
7. Paint your new pan with a good quality paint, I bought the Mopar pan and don't trust the factory paint much after seeing the original pan rust thru, I used high temp stove paint, since the exhaust is so close to the pan.
8. I would not attempt to do this job if you dont have air tools, a jack, and jack stands, but this is just my opinion. I'm 60 and a long time gearhead but his job was not easy, the worst part is the exhaust system removal. Take your time and don't overtorque the pan bolts, (I used a rachet not air to do the pan bolts.) and you will have a well sealed and hopefully long lasting oil pan. I hope this helps the next person attempting this job.