Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: INLINE 6
Unhappy WJ Grand Cherokee Laredo weird noise

I just bought my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 days ago. Right off the bat I had to have a shock in the front end replaced because I had the Death Wobble/Shake going on,and also had all rotors resurfaced. All of a sudden as of today,I noticed a slight shake/rumble/vibration going on while I was reversing out of my drive way. It didn't make any noise,just felt it. After putting it in drive upon acceleration it start making a sound like someone sticking a stick in a fan or bicycle tire. Its coming from the front passenger side,found nothing after a visual inspection. The noise stops after a few seconds but returns when driving uphill. Now I was also told by mechanic the other day that there is a slow leak coming from above the trans pan possibly from an electrical harness. He advised me to take it to a transmission shop up here which I will do soon,but until then he said it's fine and safe to drive,just to keep an eye on my fluids. If anyone has any ideas or advise on this weird noise I really appreciate it. Im not new to Jeep but am new to the Cherokee's.

-Lauren
Old 05-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7

-

Hey Lauren, congrats on your new Cherokee. Sounds strange doesn't it? How many miles does yours have? Did you purchase it from a private party or dealer? Would you happen to know how many previous owners its had? It might shed some light on the guys here who know their stuff. Unfortunately I'm not as technical as others here and I'm sure some of them will chime in soon.

Btw I've owned my 02 with 105k $5k for a little over 90 days now and have experienced much of the same your going though now dear. Noises, minor repairs, replaced front bearings, body work, batteries and what have you. All in all well over $1500 in additional repairs, not to mention the time involved... I suppose if you owned it all along like my last Limited, you do the maintenance as you go, before it was retired I had over 300K miles. They are good vehicles but like everything else they do require their share maintenance and then some.

Well I'm subscribing to your thread for the education on what I may experience too

Stay well and good luck with your new WJ. Bye

Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0

How about a little more information? What is the motor size? If I had to venture a guess, I would say exhaust leak possibly at the manifold. Possible bearing knock. Starter hung up on flywheel. Is your oil pressure good? It's hard to say from your post. Is there any hint of this noise at an idle? Check engine light on? Is it only when you are moving? Does it make the noise while at stand still but when you rev the engine? Smell any exhaust fumes?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Year: 2003
Engine: INLINE 6

Thanks guys,the motor is an Inline 6. It's got 151,000 miles, bought it cash from a dealer. Oil pressure is fine. No noise at idle only in acceleration for a few seconds then it stops,it returns If Im driving up hill. Im not gonna mess repairs till I to but I like to hear the possible problems just so Im prepared. LOL I paid $4000 for it
Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check for a broken motor mount. I replaced all 3 on my '00 WJ because I had one broken (driver's side) and that cured my vibration/noise problem. I've been told this is just another of Jeep's common problems, especially with the 4.0.

At least the motor mounts on today's cars are what's known as "capture" mounts, that is when they break, they still contain the engine and not allow it to flop around.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-16-2014 at 08:33 PM.