Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

wife looking for grand cherokee..Issues i should know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default wife looking for grand cherokee..Issues i should know?

Hi guys

my wife is looking at a grand Cherokee, not sure on what years but she is looking at 2002-2008 or so (we just started looking)

Is there years that are better than others? any issues with them that we should know about?

I know enough basic stuff on xj's but these are a whole new vehicle.

Any info would be great, what years are better, what to look for, what motor and transmission/transfer cases are better

fill me in!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

2005 and up have IFS, not a big deal if you don't plan on wheeling it. 2004 is the best year for the WJ in my opinion. 1998 is the best year for the ZJ. You get a better transmission if you get a V8 in all years up to 2004. You have a potential of having more electrical issues with first year models like 93s, 99s, and 05s.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Bustedback
2005 and up have IFS, not a big deal if you don't plan on wheeling it. 2004 is the best year for the WJ in my opinion. 1998 is the best year for the ZJ. You get a better transmission if you get a V8 in all years up to 2004. You have a potential of having more electrical issues with first year models like 93s, 99s, and 05s.

its going to be a DD 99% of the time
might make a trip into the dunes, but just a cruise thru there, not climbing hills all day
Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.2L

My buddy told me to stay away from the V8 WJ's because they have bad head gasket problems. Same guy told me the 98 Grand Cherokee would be my best bet in terms of reliability. However this hasn't exactly been true of my experience thus far.

98 is pretty old now. Power door locks don't work on the rear doors. Trunk needs a jiggle on the handle in order for it to open. Had to replace headliner, headlights, and a few other odds and ends.

It stalled out on me after an oil change one day and wouldn't start up again--one of the grounds came loose.

The suspension probably needs some TLC, the power steering is acting funny. With 140k miles, I'm due for a vicious coupler. Also has a leaking rear main seal and some light rubbing sound coming from the rear end.

AC condensation is leaking onto the passenger floorboard.

So pick your poison I guess. Replacing a head gasket or two right now sounds like a better deal. But then again I only paid $2200.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you're looking from MY opinion, buy a 2003 or 2004 WJ with the 4.0 and Selectrac with the tow package. The 46re transmission is more robust, but it only fits the 4.7 V8. The 4.0 uses the 42re which is pretty good as long as you don't pound on it. The tow package gives you an aux trans cooler which is good for long trips or carrying heavy loads.

If you can find one WITHOUT dual-zone climate control, it will save you the trouble of fixing THAT complex unit in the future. The newer you get, the more complex electronics are installed in any vehicle. Some of this stuff IS nice, but not if I have to repair it. JMHO.

The 4.7 V8 is a radical engine design with overhead cams and aluminum heads. If overheated, the heads can warp and blow head gaskets. severe warpage requires head replacement because it effects the cam bearings. Sometimes head gaskets fail simply because of the different expansion rates of the aluminum heads and the steel block. Replacing the head gaskets are complicated by the cam timing chains and getting it back together.

Those are all the NEGATIVE things about the 4.7. The good things are the power they produce and the heavier driveline.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-07-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dave1123
If you're looking from MY opinion, buy a 2003 or 2004 WJ with the 4.0 and Selectrac with the tow package. The 46re transmission is more robust, but it only fits the 4.7 V8. The 4.0 uses the 42re which is pretty good as long as you don't pound on it. The tow package gives you an aux trans cooler which is good for long trips or carrying heavy loads.

If you can find one WITHOUT dual-zone climate control, it will save you the trouble of fixing THAT complex unit in the future. The newer you get, the more complex electronics are installed in any vehicle. Some of this stuff IS nice, but not if I have to repair it. JMHO.

The 4.7 V8 is a radical engine design with overhead cams and aluminum heads. If overheated, the heads can warp and blow head gaskets. severe warpage requires head replacement because it effects the cam bearings. Sometimes head gaskets fail simply because of the different expansion rates of the aluminum heads and the steel block. Replacing the head gaskets are complicated by the cam timing chains and getting it back together.

Those are all the NEGATIVE things about the 4.7. The good things are the power they produce and the heavier driveline.
I agree 100%

For what its worth I owned 4 XJs before I bought my 99 WJ. 4.0 242 t case. While the 42re trans isnt the best they can be had cheap and swapped around relatively easy.

If id had the cash though I would have spent it on an overland WJ simply because they are so nice.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 AM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7

I'm not that tech so I cannot give you specs on gears or what have you, what I will tell you is that I've owned 3 GC.
A Limited, a Laredo and an Overlander and here is just a regular guys input fyi.

The 1st, the Limited I drove from 600 miles to over 310,000.00. Regular maintenance often requiring rotor replacement or I'd get the steering wheel shaking badly (death wobble?) at about 12-13K mile intervals. That rotor ordeal was about the oddest I experienced. Everything else was protocol maintenance. Although I did go through a couple new radiators and a trans at about 130k, I tow a 17' Ranger Walleye boat so take it for what its worth.

BlackXY your wife probably knows already they are not good on gas right ?
For me about 10mpg towing, 12 on the street with a top of maybe 14 on Hwy

My current 90 day owned Grand Cherokee is an 02 Overlander 4.7 with 105k which I paid $5k for. I have done minor body work on her bumpers, rear latch repair, replaced the all the oxygen sensors, map sensors (it was stalling at idle every now and then) a couple other minor things like mud flaps, bug shield, window visors all in all another Gnote on her. I do agree with XJ88 the Overlander's are much nicer interior wise. The wood work on the dash/stering wheel, white gauges is a nice clean look. The cloth/suede leather combo on the seats I'm not personally a big fan of. All leather is more practical and easier to clean.

Other than that, I guess it's a decent DD so far?

Name:  image9.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  image25.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  image28.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  134.3 KB

I've have issues with the design of that lower rocker panel (they're rusted out and are expensive to replace). I've also experienced to date complicated electrical repairs, interior noises with a complicated blend door auto climate control repair, oil leaks with the lower oil sensor, grounding problems to metion a few. I also had to re charged the AC and currently have a pending issue with the rear passenger door auto locks?? Which I understand from other members here this is a common problem.

It's a DD to me and I hope to get the same type of service I hope to received from my 1st WJ Limited.

If I was you Blackie, I'd suggest she gets a Toyota/Honda V6 and make it appear as though its her idea hahhaha.
Just teasing. That's about my 0.02. I hope it helps you a little. Good luck and happy shopping.

PeterB.

Last edited by PeterB; 05-07-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Brakes? Yeah. I forgot about the brakes. There are 2 types of braking systems used on the WJ, the Teves and the Akebono systems. A lot of people say the Teves system is bad because they've had warped rotors with it and the Akebono system is better. My WJ has the Teves system and 155K miles on it. The only time I had a SLIGHTLY warped rotor was after driving it for about a week with a stuck caliper piston.

MY take is the Teves calipers are more massive than the Akebono and therefore are a better heat sink, although opinions vary. My calipers had steel pistons where the newer replacements have phenolic ones. IDK if that makes a difference because I've only got about 200 miles on my new ones. Time will tell.

One other thing about brakes. The pads ride on the mounting brackets and if the brackets get grooved where they ride, should be replaced as well, otherwise they can rub when released and squeak.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-07-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2

also depends on your worries of fuel economy. Obviously no jeep is a gas saver lol. the 4.0's are going give you better mpgs then a v8. Never get first year anything as stated. The newer, the harder working on them can become. If I could find a great condition 98 zj with a 4.0 I'd probably use that as a dd. The v8's (5.2/5.9) tend to have less tranny issues depending on previous owner. Best I can say if you're looking is find a little old lady driven jeep no matter which model type you go with. I rolled 200k and have only had standard issues, some don't make it to 100k without that. I am lucky haha.

You're in a rusty area as well, so be on the look out for rust and crappy patch jobs on all the older models (or even newer if it was always outside).

Sometimes you can find something with a slight problem, get it for a good deal and be able to fix it without issue. Many aren't so lucky with that tactic
Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Old fart with a wrench

My 00 WJ was from Washington, Pennsylvania and had 125K on it and impeccable service records with it. I bought it from a small used car lot in Rome, NY that only sells PA cars. I'm told PA doesn't use salt on the roads and this jeep was spotless as far as rust goes and looked like it was garaged all it's life. It's a base model with only the larger tire option (245/70R16).

It cost me $4200 in July of 2012 but it took 4 months to get clear title to it because I was dealing with 2 states DMVs.

The main reason I bought it was for my job. I deliver newspapers and needed it for deep snow. I put General Grabber AT2s on it and it is a veritable tank in the snow. I usually start before the plows come out to play and I feel very confident it'll get me anywhere I need to go. Snow Emergency, that closes the roads to all but essential traffic, doesn't apply to us because, like the mail, delivery is in my contract. After almost 20 years of doing this, the local police know me and every time I change vehicles, they check me out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is my WJ is as reliable as the family dog, always there and willing to help.

The only fear I have is the WJ doesn't have any tow points unless you add them. That's my next project.

Last edited by dave1123; 05-12-2014 at 04:53 AM.