Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Warped disk/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Warped disk/rotors

I seem to have a repetitive problem with my 1999, Grand Jeep Cherokee 4.0.
It seems I have replaced my disk/rotors front and back several times over the last 4 years. My mechanic says that they over heat and when water hits them they warp. I did some research and heard about cross-drilled sports disk for jeeps. Has anybody used them and do they last longer then regular rotors?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:32 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I think your major problem is you've probably still got the Teves calipers which tend to stick and heat up. I played those games with my 2000 WJ until I switched over to the later Akebono calipers. With the Teves, the caliper slider pins need to be greased very well and still sometimes will stick out of square so one piston drags and heats up and warps the disc. The rear brakes still have to be Teves, so you must pay close attention to the pins. They are only single piston in the rear so they don't tend to have as many problems. The fronts are dual piston.

Drilled and slotted rotors are available and do cool better. They can be used with either braking systems. I haven't seen them for the rear however. Check rockauto.com for prices. they are pretty reasonable and offer several brands, but you have to pay shipping.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-10-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cheap rotors will warp fast or if the lug nuts are not torqued twice can do it also.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Warped disk/Rotors

I've replaced the front calipers with Cardone calipers, their rebuilt. I was having problems before so I asked my mechanic to use a better life time warranty caliper. Thinking I would get longer use. The rotors were replaced at the same time. Within one year the rotors became warped again. How can I avoid this happening again? Has anyone tried using cross drill sports disk? Would it make a difference?

Last edited by Katie58; 03-10-2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Warped disk/Rotors

I've replaced the front calipers with Cardone calipers, their rebuilt. I was having problems before so I asked my mechanic to use a better life time warranty caliper. Thinking I would get longer use. The rotors were replaced at the same time. Within one year the rotors became warped again. How can I avoid this happening again? Would using cross drill sports disk make a difference?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Katie58
I've replaced the front calipers with Cardone calipers, their rebuilt. I was having problems before so I asked my mechanic to use a better life time warranty caliper. Thinking I would get longer use. The rotors were replaced at the same time. Within one year the rotors became warped again. How can I avoid this happening again? Would using cross drill sports disk make a difference?
Cardone is a rebuilder of calipers. It is not a brand name of the original manufacturer.

99- april 02 WJ's came from Jeep with a Teves/ATF caliper. They finally changed to the Akebono because of all the warranty work they were doing on the Teves/ATF caliper. Just like you are having.
Have your mechanic source the Akebono style caliper. It will need a new bracket and usually comes with the rebuild but not always.
After that you should no longer have warped rotors.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Thanks for your advice. When I talked to my mechanic and asked his advice on this problem I told him I wanted a better caliper because I was replacing them and the rotors every other year it seemed. He told me to get life time Warrenty calipers. It didn't help me at all. My rotors became warped again within the last year.

I took my Jeep to a different mechanic and have to replace the heating coil and told him the bread were sticking again. He said the calipers were fine, all four disc were warped. So I'm just gonna replace the disc and hope it will carry me till next spring.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Katie58
Thanks for your advice. When I talked to my mechanic and asked his advice on this problem I told him I wanted a better caliper because I was replacing them and the rotors every other year it seemed. He told me to get life time Warrenty calipers. It didn't help me at all. My rotors became warped again within the last year.

I took my Jeep to a different mechanic and have to replace the heating coil and told him the bread were sticking again. He said the calipers were fine, all four disc were warped. So I'm just gonna replace the disc and hope it will carry me till next spring.
It's not actually the calipers themselves that is the problem. It's the way that the caliper operates on the bracket. It's no where near as strong as the Akebono and when you use the brakes the caliper does not return to a neutral position like it's supposed to. Now the pads are dragging and heating up your disks to the point where they will warp. Putting new rotors on will not solve the problem. Chrysler solved it by going to the stronger Akebono. No more warped rotors and no more warranty problems.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you don't believe us, go to a Jeep dealer and ASK the service manager what HE thinks about the difference between the 2 types. Don't let him touch your Jeep, just ask his opinion.