Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission over temp issue...is back again, help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission over temp issue...is back again, help?

Hello,

2 weeks ago, on the first really sunny hot day of the year, as I was driving on the highway after 50km, the dreaded Transmission over temp message rang in the electronic dashboard..it felt like something hit me right in the head. I hate it. It causes panic.

I had this issue on hot summer days last year and eventually bought an infrared heat gun off amazon or ebay as suggested by others to see if the tranny oil is really hot. When I bought it, it never occurred again as Fall had just begun and it never really got hot again. It did not occur all winter either.

When it last happened 2 weeks ago, I pulled over, looked and felt the tranny oil, all seemed normal, it was not hot. I went to the dealer and explained him all this, and one of the managers there said to ignore it after asking me questions.

We had performed a bunch of stuff last year such as cleaning some parts but it seemed to not have helped. I also started receiving this message a few days after I had performed a terrible boost on my friend's car which drained my battery. I than had to get it recharged... I'm just wondering if that caused all this...

What would you guys do? Also, where does one point that infrared gun exactly? I have a 2006 Laredo 4.7 V8.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not sure about the 2006, but on older models there is a thermistor (temperature sensitive resistor) in the transmission that senses fluid temp and that could be your problem. The overtemp that happened on the boost may have been caused by a long period at idle in park because the fluid isn't circulating thru the cooler in park. This thermistor is mounted on the valve body under the filter and is immersed in fluid all the time. Open circuit resistance should be 1000 ohms at 70*F.