Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Teves vs Akebono Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Teves vs Akebono Calipers

Has anyone who has OEM Teves calipers replaced them with Akebono? If so, have you noticed any difference? I am about to replace the rotors as previous owner apparently did not (at least recently). I read on another Jeep forum (thanks, Google searches!) that the Akebono is "desired" when shopping for a vehicle.... Too bad I found said article after I already bought what this Jeep.

If I can stick to the Teves calipers, I am planning on doing it as to not throw anymore money than I have to at the moment into this thing, as it is going to be a DD/commuter until further notice.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 AM

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0

Check out rockauto.com
They have probably the best prices I've seen.
But yes, you don't have to change out the calipers. As long as yours are in perfect working order of course.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Noooooooo! Don't prescribe me Rock Auto! I already have too bad of an addiction to them! haha

I guess I've got an answer, thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:12 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

You'll be good with just about any caliper you choose.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
You'll be good with just about any caliper you choose.
Other than the stock Teves, you mean? Or are they useable, as long as proper care/maintenance is followed?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by NukleusX

Other than the stock Teves, you mean? Or are they useable, as long as proper care/maintenance is followed?
Yes, I use the reman ones from Autozone. Never had a problem.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by NukleusX
Proper maintenance is not the issue, it's the design. The rotors tend to warp and cause issues when braking.. pulsation and shaking issues specifically. Are you experiencing that now?

My wife's WJ had OEM Teves, i swapped in Akebono's. Lots of the parts houses sell the whole kit to swap over.. check out Rockauto.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
Proper maintenance is not the issue, it's the design. The rotors tend to warp and cause issues when braking.. pulsation and shaking issues specifically. Are you experiencing that now?

My wife's WJ had OEM Teves, i swapped in Akebono's. Lots of the parts houses sell the whole kit to swap over.. check out Rockauto.
Am not experiencing the pulsation/shaking to an unbearable point (death wobble) at the moment, though am planning on switching out rotors and pads soon. Would it be a better idea just to wait until I have the Akebonos and do everything at once? I guess the technical side of this question is do I need certain rotors for use with the said caliper, or just pads which work with the caliper, and rotors are not of any specific brand/type?

As for checking out Rock Auto, I am on there daily. Just got the last box of a 3 part shipment today, and put in another order this afternoon...
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

JMHO, as long as yours are servicable, stick with what you've got. Have you seen the price?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

My '04 has the Akebono calipers, and had to be taken to the dealer 3 times under warranty after we bought it for bake recalls. It still has issues with warping rotors. I've read the caliper spring causes the inner pad to drag, which causes the warping.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
JMHO, as long as yours are servicable, stick with what you've got. Have you seen the price?
I have seen the price, and it is a bit of deterrant; from Rockauto I am looking at $500+ for all four corners; that being rotors, calipers, and pads. That said, and with what you said, I am thinking I will just keep the calipers and do just the rotors and pads for ~$250 for all four corners, from local auto parts store. If I notice any trouble after that install then it will be time to change calipers.

Originally Posted by ol"blue
My '04 has the Akebono calipers, and had to be taken to the dealer 3 times under warranty after we bought it for bake recalls. It still has issues with warping rotors. I've read the caliper spring causes the inner pad to drag, which causes the warping.
Well good to know that negative effects can happen with either or. Brings down the Akebono's status a little bit... Like I said in the above response, I'll change the rotors and pads for now, and see how that goes.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM
pwb

Year: 1993

Dont buy cheap breake parts NEVER, i did buy some Raybestos from Rockauto and on one of the caliper the bolts was cheap low grade bolts, the weight on the bolts was 1/2 of the original bolts, small heads to. I did try to use them but only with a litle force i twisted them. I had to use the old bolts on one of them. If i had used the new bolts and had to do a hard break i'm sure it would have gone wrong.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay guys. I've got a question. How do I know what I've got on my WJ? It's a 00 with dual piston front calipers (don't know about the rears, 'cause I haven't checked yet) with 131K miles on it. I bought it at 180K and haven't experienced ANY problems yet. I had a front wheel off the other day to fix a loose plastic liner and the rotors and pads are good. The previous owner did a complete brake job just before I got it so I'm not aware of what he used; ceramic, semi-metalic, etc. I have noticed some brake dust on the wheels, but I tend to use brakes hard delivering newspapers. By hard I mean stop and go from mailbox to mailbox about 300 times in 3 hours. I've also had to brake HARD several times from 55 mph to avoid deer. No problems yet, but need to know what to expect in the future.

My opinion is a car may not go fast, but it's GOT to be able to stop!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Old fart with a wrench

I just answered my own question. Google is great, isn't it? I have the Teves calipers because I have the wire clip that holds the pads in place. Easy to spot if you know what to look for. Duh!

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm an old fart.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM

Year: 2002
Engine: 4.7 V-8 and 4.0 6 cyl.

Just my two cents here, but I had warping issues with both caliper styles. I have now installed slotted and drilled rotors on both my 02' grand Cherokees and the rotors have stayed nice and true.

Quick Reply: Teves vs Akebono Calipers