Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering Problem

So recently I've taken my 94 jeep cherokee 4.0 liter 4WD down to the river in my town more. Although it is full stock, which in some areas is a big problem. But anyways I took it in to be aligned because it was shaking on the highway. The mechanic gave me a call and said there was something wrong and that in order for him to preform the alignment he would have to bend something to do with my steering straight, I was confused as to what he was talking about but I was at work and just wanted it done so I said go ahead. Keep in mind though my steering wheel for some reason has always been upside down. After picking up my jeep I noticed the steering wheel was now right side up and I was really confused and excited. But the when I went to turn make a some what sharp left turn the steering wheel would rotate more that about a 6 or 8 inches. Does anyone know what's going on? And I apologize for the long post this is my first post on the forum. Also I'm planning to call the mechanic.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'd be willing to bet somewhere in it's life the steering box was replaced and wasn't centered in it's travel before the steering column was attached. I, also, don't understand what he had to bend to fix it. Something smells fishy down by your river.

It is my opinion that in order to fix it, you need to remove the steering link from the pitman arm on the box, then the pitman arm itself. Then turn the steering wheel full left, then full right, counting the turns. Turn it back to center 1/2 the number of turns until the steering wheel is straight and upright. Then put the pitman arm back on the box and adjust the link until it fits. The steering wheel will only mount one way because there is a missing spline on the shaft.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It proves the alignment tech didn't test drive all that well.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
I'd be willing to bet somewhere in it's life the steering box was replaced and wasn't centered in it's travel before the steering column was attached. I, also, don't understand what he had to bend to fix it. Something smells fishy down by your river.

It is my opinion that in order to fix it, you need to remove the steering link from the pitman arm on the box, then the pitman arm itself. Then turn the steering wheel full left, then full right, counting the turns. Turn it back to center 1/2 the number of turns until the steering wheel is straight and upright. Then put the pitman arm back on the box and adjust the link until it fits. The steering wheel will only mount one way because there is a missing spline on the shaft.
How do I remove those components? Or would I have to take it to someone ?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
It proves the alignment tech didn't test drive all that well.
Exactly what I was thinking
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The steering link requires breaking loose the ball joint end with it's tapered shaft. The pitman arm requires a puller to remove it from the splines on the steering box shaft. Are you up to it?

Then you'll have to loosen both ball joint end clamps on the steering link to adjust it so when the steering wheel is straight, the wheels are straight. You just spin the tube with a pipe wrench. If you do it yourself, okay, but I wouldn't take it back to the same mechanic.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-25-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:44 AM

Okay okay so I am up to it, I guess I'll just have to dive into it thank you for all the help.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Old fart with a wrench

I guess my assessment of the problem is correct because nobody's come back to correct me. Especially with Bustedback looking on. I trust his opinion.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Update

Okay so I fixed this problem thanks to you guys thank you so much. It took me awhile to do this myself. The one problem I had was that for some reason I couldn't get the steering wheel completely centered without being able to turn the steering wheel more to one side or another, if that makes sense. But if not basically the steering wheel is at about a 45 degree angel which for me isn't a big deal. I bought this car as a salvage so I'm not to worried about anything cosmetically. I just wanted to post an update for those who helped me. On a side not though the reason I wanted to do all this is because I really want to lift this bad boy.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 AM
Old fart with a wrench

The reason for pulling the pitman arm off it's shaft was to be able to reposition it so when the steering wheel was straight, you could align it closer to the steering link's ball socket end. Then the steering wheel would be a lot closer to straight and the last little bit could be taken care of by adjusting the link. If you are going to lift it, that will throw it off again!