Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Steering help

Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default Steering help

So I need a new steering set up for my stock 96 5.2l. I plan on lifting it at some point, but for now its stock. I was looking at a crossover kit. Would this benefit a stock ZJ? If so, do they still need a dampner? And finally, any recommendations on a good set up would be great. Im looking at the $300 range, cheaper would be better if its still good. And I hope theae werent dumb questions. Thanks
Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

You already have one upgrade, the V8 ZJ tie rod which is much stronger than a stock XJ tie rod. The drag link is considered plenty strong. Personally I would leave it alone unless you are going for a lift over 4.5". Many of the kits give you some headaches you will not want to live with. Many use heims that wear out quickly because they are not protected from dirt. Also, the heims are not stronger than a real tie rod end, so heims are not in my opinion an upgrade.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM

Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
You already have one upgrade, the V8 ZJ tie rod which is much stronger than a stock XJ tie rod. The drag link is considered plenty strong. Personally I would leave it alone unless you are going for a lift over 4.5". Many of the kits give you some headaches you will not want to live with. Many use heims that wear out quickly because they are not protected from dirt. Also, the heims are not stronger than a real tie rod end, so heims are not in my opinion an upgrade.

That sounds good to me, Thanks!