Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Some sort of wierdness

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Some sort of wierdness

The torque converter clutch in my 2000 WJ hasn't worked in 6 years and now all of a sudden does! She just cleared 250K miles last week and I just recently noticed a change in the exhaust note at highway speeds. Then I noticed the tach running lower then it has at high speeds and not dropping when you let off the throttle. Why does it work all of a sudden like that? I've replaced the solenoid twice and made sure the drain-back valve was clear but that didn't make it work so I just forgot about it. I'm concerned because the tranny has 250K on it too. It still works fine if you let it warm up a bit before you take off first thing in the morning. Still shifts when it should without slipping. I hate when things fix themselves!
Old 02-24-2019, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Things fix themselves, agree, always suspicious and frustrating.
I like to find something good and broke, then you know what to fix.
My 2002 WJ also has intermittent converter lock up slipping. Done it since about 250K Km. Currently at 400 K Km.
Have changed fluid and filter about every 80 - 100 K km. Cant find any loose solenoids or connections when the pan is removed.
I believe (but can't prove it) that it is related to the cruise control. How? Some times my cruise control wont activate, catch.
If I touch the brake pedal while continuing to drive the cruise control then catches when I try it, and away we go.
Same with the converter lock up cycling.
If I touch the brake pedal while continuing to drive the converter stops having a tantrum, locks up and behaves.
Both the converter and the cruise control seem to stop functioning and unlatch when the truck is in sweeping right turns.
I have additional suspicions about the ribbon harness inside the steering wheel.
As of yet I have no for sure data, only symptoms and suspicions.
Need to find and good old fashion explosion of parts all over the garage floor, then I'd know what to fix.
I'll let you know Dave if I find any fixes.