Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tranny solenoid wierdness

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Tranny solenoid wierdness

So when i bought this XJ i knew it had a solenoid issue, had to start in 1-2 then shift to O/D. Today i changed the oil and battery terminals. When i disconnected the batt and changed terminals i fired it up to check if i had power and noticed the CEL had shut off. So on a whim i checked the trans, tossed it in O/D and she took off like a rocket in 1st like its supposed to.

Now i have O/D that works from 1 instead of it starting in 3rd... has anyone saw this happen after disconnecting the battery?

Im guessing its gonna need fixing soon enuf. But just seemed odd that it went away like that.
Its a 97 sport 4L auto 4x4

airbag light is still on tho, anyone got any ideas to that one?

thanks
MD
Old 10-13-2014, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Start, as always, with a good ground cleaning...

My jeep had solenoid issues sounding like your problem. I gt a kit of 3 from the internet, sorry can't remember where, for about 75$. The gasket, filter, and fluid were about another 30. About 100 total, and it was a heck of an easy job to replace them. The only crappy part was taking out the fluid and dropping and cleaning the pan. The solenoids pop right out of the tranny with 1 bolt each, although you have to make sure you match up the right ones. Easy as pie though, don't know why I put it off for 6 months. Laziness I guess.

As for the airbag... it runs on a vaccume system I think. Might want to check your little tube connections. Might have a break. Although I could be wrong, just throwing it out there.

The solenoids though... easy.
The tach has a conn to the trans also though, might want to chec that while cleaning your grounds... start cheap/free, work up to buying parts. Keep us posted, good luck.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:11 PM

ok good to know

the terminals were corroded pretty bad and were all white, wondering if that what the previous owners issues. Ill order the solenoids and change em out cuz i wanted to do a trans fluid change and filter anyhow. I got a feeling the solenoid issue is going to come back sooner or later lol

as for the vacuum ill check all that today, its rainin right now but i wanted to do a relocation of my vacuum ball, so ill do a check when i do that.

thanks BillyBoy
Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Range Select Signal goes through the NSS. Pull, clean, add fresh dieelectric grease. Plenty of write-ups on the interwebz on how to do it,
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 PM

thank you Serious
Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

See Tip 10 in my link below.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 AM

thanks cruiser ... ill get at this tomorow and you guys know how i made out
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

The Airbag system is not vacuum operated, it is electrically operated through an Air Bag Control Module, which may be defective. Other issues with Airbags is a defective clockspring.

If your Air Bag Control Module is located under the driver's seat, there is a TSB to relocate it under the center console. Dealer will do it free. Check the location of the ABCM and if it's under the seat call your Chrysler dealer and see if they will relocate it for you.

If this is what you are going to do, I advise that you remove the driver's seat first to make sure the bolts can be removed. They rust into place and break off. The dealer will charge an arm & leg to fix this.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There was a recall to relocatethe airbag from under the seat to the spot under your center console.

I suggest you go to the following site and see what recalls, if any, need to be addressed.
http://www.autosafety.org/category/c...anding-recalls
Old 10-17-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
The Airbag system is not vacuum operated, it is electrically operated through an Air Bag Control Module, which may be defective. Other issues with Airbags is a defective clockspring.

If your Air Bag Control Module is located under the driver's seat, there is a TSB to relocate it under the center console. Dealer will do it free. Check the location of the ABCM and if it's under the seat call your Chrysler dealer and see if they will relocate it for you.

If this is what you are going to do, I advise that you remove the driver's seat first to make sure the bolts can be removed. They rust into place and break off. The dealer will charge an arm & leg to fix this.
Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
There was a recall to relocatethe airbag from under the seat to the spot under your center console.

I suggest you go to the following site and see what recalls, if any, need to be addressed.
http://www.autosafety.org/category/c...anding-recalls
Thanks for this info .... i spent alota time yesterday under the hood cleanin parts and hoses and cleaned all the contacts and plugs, airbag is still lit up on the dash. Ill take it to the Jeep/Mopar dealership for the recall.

I did however find a vacuum canister with 3 lines ... one of the 3 has no line to it tho. Maybe someone can chime in ?
Heres the can im talkin about. Its behind the A/C.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mountaindog
Thanks for this info .... i spent alota time yesterday under the hood cleanin parts and hoses and cleaned all the contacts and plugs, airbag is still lit up on the dash. Ill take it to the Jeep/Mopar dealership for the recall.

I did however find a vacuum canister with 3 lines ... one of the 3 has no line to it tho. Maybe someone can chime in ?
Heres the can im talkin about. Its behind the A/C.

Charcoal cannister. They don't always use all the fittings.

Poor choice of oil filter there........

The cannister for vacuum storage is here:
Attached Thumbnails Tranny solenoid wierdness-vac-ball-routing.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Thanks Cruiser

I relocated my vacuum ball yesterday cuz i swapped bumpers. But good call on the charcaol filter, was wondering why one line wasnt plugged in

That fram filter is coming out soon, i tossed that on to run some seafoam thru then ill change it to synthetic and a good filter.

I also have a leak somewere, could be oil pan or could be valve cover leaking from the back. Once i get that sorted ill feed her some good erl.

Thanks dude
Old 10-17-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mountaindog
Thanks Cruiser

I relocated my vacuum ball yesterday cuz i swapped bumpers. But good call on the charcaol filter, was wondering why one line wasnt plugged in

That fram filter is coming out soon, i tossed that on to run some seafoam thru then ill change it to synthetic and a good filter.

I also have a leak somewere, could be oil pan or could be valve cover leaking from the back. Once i get that sorted ill feed her some good erl.

Thanks dude
Excellent plan.

Ever read this?

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013
Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 AM

I have read that, the other night actually. These 4.0Ls leak in odd ways lol

My guess is the pan or valve cover.... the pan gasket has been changed out on this Jeep so im guessing it leaked before or it was opened for some reason. But theres erl from the front of the pan to the back RMS area. Must have been leaking for some time cuz my parking spot has a small few drips.

Ill have a crack at that later on this morn

thanks brotha
Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 PM

I found the airbag recall, gonna bring it to dealer this week .... thanks

Recall Date:
APR 11, 2000
Model Affected:
1997 Jeep Cherokee
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. WATER AND/OR ROAD SALT IN THE PROXIMITY OF THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE COULD LEAD TO CORROSION.
Consequences:
SUCH CORROSION CAN LEAD TO ILLUMINATION OF THE AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT OR COULD ALLOW INADVERTENT DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIR BAGS.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE AIR BAG CONTROL MODULE AND LOCATE THE NEW MODULE ON THE TOP OF THE TRANSMISSION TUNNEL.
Potential Units Affected:
Notes:
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION

Quick Reply: Tranny solenoid wierdness