Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Save it or Sell it? Advice needed!!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Save it or Sell it? Advice needed!!

I hope I've chosen the right forum to place this in, its kindof a mixed bag of questions

The vehicle in question is a 96 grand cherokee. I have owned it for three years and over those three years have replaced the water pump, radiator, starter and a few other little issues that only my husband can remember. Now a week ago the transmission went. I can describe what its doing, we haven't taken it in to be hooked up because it went at my moms which is 5 hours from where I live and I had to get a ride back home in time for work.

I am not a hobbyist and even though my purse says it is, this was not supposed to be a project car. It's got 163k miles on it and with the money we have sank into it already, if the transmission needs rebuilt/replaced I am not sure whether it is worth it since there are SOOO many other things that can and probably will start failing on this thing.

Two questions:

#1 What are your opinions on whether this is worth saving or not. It's the newest vehicle I own and I'd need a loan to do the tranny work. I have good enough credit at the bank I can get a newer used vehicle as another option.

#2 What would it be worth as a parts vehicle as-is with the new parts the older parts and the bad tranny? If I sell it as-is, I don't want to be taken by a seemingly good offer, but I'd like to not have people think I'm a fool for asking too much as well.

Thanks so much in advance guys, I know this is a long post but I'm going nuts here at home and my Jeep hours away and my tow/ride not willing to travel to get it for another week or two.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee

All of the smaller items you listed would have gone bad on just about any car with that kind of mileage on it. As for the tranny, the ZJ trannys aren't known for their longevity, so feel lucky it lasted as long as it did!! I think it would be worth putting another tranny in it, honestly. You should expect about 100,000 miles from a rebuild on the ZJ tranny. You are always going to be spending money on your transportation, that's just life. Even if you buy a new car, you will have the monthly payments, so like I said, always. You have to weigh your options, and know that any used car you buy will prolly not come with a warranty, so repairs will be on you. You could wind up dumping a poo load of money on another vehicle that needs work too, I've seen this happen. I'm also assuming your ZJ is paid off, and if so, it's worth keeping. It will save you money in the long run, it just may not feel like it right now!! Keep in mind that you know this vehicle, and the work you guys have put into it, so that should bring a little peace of mind as well. HTH!!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

X2, Getting another vehicle is sometimes a bigger headache. Atleast with the grand cherokee you know what has been replaced.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM

that seems most sensible to me, honestly. Maybe I can squeeze the bank for new rubber, XM radio and a reciever hitch too
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Nickel-n-Dime
that seems most sensible to me, honestly. Maybe I can squeeze the bank for new rubber, XM radio and a reciever hitch too
Throw a lift into the mix and now you are talking.....
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Mmmhmm.. that sounds about right but it would have to be small for starters until we bought a regular travel vehicle. Wonder how inexpensively I could take it up a few notches?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Budget boost...easy, cheap, and good for about 2"s of lifty!!

BTW, this stuff is like cancer, and you should run for the woods...NOW!! Once you start picking at this "Jeep Thing" the itching will not stop until your wallet is empty, and your Jeep is a monster!! You have been warned!!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Well, honestly hubby and I have been in love with the "jeep thing" for a long time. When we were married 8 years ago he had his dad's old CJ5 in the back yard and had every intention of rejuvenating it but the thing was so far gone we sold it and promised we'd start another project. Had plans for the Cherokee once it was paid off, but this being the second month it's paid off... yeah, thanks cherokee, I coulda spent the 2grand much wiser on you lol.

Will a 2" lift look silly with stock rims/tires?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Nickel-n-Dime
Well, honestly hubby and I have been in love with the "jeep thing" for a long time. When we were married 8 years ago he had his dad's old CJ5 in the back yard and had every intention of rejuvenating it but the thing was so far gone we sold it and promised we'd start another project. Had plans for the Cherokee once it was paid off, but this being the second month it's paid off... yeah, thanks cherokee, I coulda spent the 2grand much wiser on you lol.

Will a 2" lift look silly with stock rims/tires?
It will look okay. Plus when it is time for new tires just step up then. I drove mine for almost 2 yrs with 235/75/15 and 3 inches of lift. Then when the tires wore out I went up to 31/1050/15. You can do a little at a time and that way the pain is spread out over time.