Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Battery died & check 4wd system came on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Battery died & check 4wd system came on?

I have an 05 GC. I went out to leave for work 2day and the battery was completely DEAD. The keyless entry wouldn't even unlock the doors. Absolutely NO juice. When I turned the key..nothing. So I got a jump and then after I got to my destination, I turned it off and back on and it works fine now. But ever since I got it running again, it now says "service 4wd system" in the message center. I have also experienced some jerking when accelerating at about 35-40mph. I have heard alot about them needing updated.. the computer system needs reflashed or something. My cherokee is no longer under warranty.
What do you think is wrong with it? & what can I do to fix it? Is it something I can do myself?
PLEASE Help!!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

From what I have read, when you disconnect the battery or it goes dead the computer has to relearn normal settings. This may be the case. I would just drive it some and see if things go back to normal. No info on 4wd issue. Maybe related to above or it may be an info center resettable item. Not sure don't have a 4wd. Check your owners manual for info.

Why the battery died should be a concern. Unless you have a weak battery, you may have something that is causing a drain.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Default check 4wd light comes on

I also have a 05 grand cherokee. the service 4wd system light comes on as well. I notice it always comes on after hitting a bump, traveling over a rolling hill, speed bump etc. jblondie....were you able to find out what causes this problem? If not, try to take notice if that is what triggers your 4wd light to come on.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Year: 2005
Engine: 4.7

Sry, I've been very busy! The battery hasn't died yet since my last post. I noticed its kind of hard to start when its cold outside. As far as the 4wd system light it must have just been because the battery died. That was the only time that the sercice 4wd light showed up.

Champagne idk about your 4wd light. Maybe theres a loose wire or something thats connected to your battery or somewhere else?? That might be why it comes on when hitting a bump and such.