Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rusted out Rocker Panels

Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rusted out Rocker Panels

I have a 98 ZJ and have the common problem of rusted out rocker panels. Mine actually did not come from beating them on the rocks per say. I have some KOR rock sliders protecting them. I am sure the rocks did some of this as well but I heard the paint cracking when hi-lifting from the rail a few years back. I didn't even notice any rust for at least a year, and when I put a screwdriver to it to test the integrity instant hole.

I have seen several write ups on repairing these for XJ's but have not ran into any for the ZJ. the biggest issue I have seen with the writeups is having to cut down the door skins. I am looking to avoid this and looking for a solution that will incorporate my KOR lateral protection sliders and keep them below the bottoms of the doors while gaining some clearance. I am not looking for replacement rockers since they are flimsy and will just flex again when bouncing on the rocks.

Has any one seen any write ups or have any ideas for the poor ZJ?
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check out what Biggoofy did to his ZJ's rockers in his build thread.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...e-96-zj-63368/

Last edited by Bustedback; 03-06-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Feel free to ask me questions on that man.

Here is all the info on them.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/zj-boat-sides-67850/
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2L

Dang, I was gonna link you to biggoofy's boatsides thread as well. I'm doing it within the next 3 weeks or so before block leave is done...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Year: 98

Those definitively look like what I am looking for. I never even contemplated boat sides, it makes a lot of sense for protection and stiffening the unibody up.

Nice rig biggoofy. I looked over your mallcrawlin one as well. How low do those go?. I was thinking about making mine a little lower for the protection. Was there any deflection when you did the high lift test. Is 3 tabs enough or should a person put more in or even a full length piece of angle iron? How are you planning on finishing the edge of the sheet metal for what is left on the rocker?

As far as the unibody rails, I thought I saw somewhere that the claton's ones were beefier than the T-T ones. Or would it be better to get some u-shaped iron and make them so they will go on both sides? Any knowledge out there on any of that?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gully369
Those definitively look like what I am looking for. I never even contemplated boat sides, it makes a lot of sense for protection and stiffening the unibody up.

Nice rig biggoofy. I looked over your mallcrawlin one as well. How low do those go?. I was thinking about making mine a little lower for the protection. Was there any deflection when you did the high lift test. Is 3 tabs enough or should a person put more in or even a full length piece of angle iron? How are you planning on finishing the edge of the sheet metal for what is left on the rocker?

As far as the unibody rails, I thought I saw somewhere that the claton's ones were beefier than the T-T ones. Or would it be better to get some u-shaped iron and make them so they will go on both sides? Any knowledge out there on any of that?

ok were to begin haha

they are flush with the bottom of the floor but I have a solution for that I just havent done it yet.

3 tabs and kickers back to the uniframe will be plenty

the sheet metal is not really an issue after you add the kickers i dont even notice it you could weld the entire seem but i dont think its worth the time

I will either be making my own or ordering tnt stiffeners

unibody info
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23364
Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by biggoofy
Feel free to ask me questions on that man.

Here is all the info on them.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/zj-boat-sides-67850/
I’m curious as to the three brackets you welded under the tube to the chassis? Could you give me some detail to that please