Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rebuilding/ Boring engine

Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6
Default Rebuilding/ Boring engine

So i have decided on boring and rebuilding my engine with a .020 bore. My questions:
1.) kit runs me 430$ total, my engine has not been bored yet so what are some ideas on shop fees? i know this varies on location and i am planning on going out looking at different shops near me just want to know what to look for on good deal wise.

2.) Do i have to bore the crank when i do the cylinders and bearings?

3.) How reliable is the engine after a bore like this? its the smallest bore i could do so i figured it is the best option, im not looking for insane power basically functionality, i could also get the regular rebuild kit and totally avoid a bore would this be a better option, or what this be a variable on what condition my engines in?

Thanks for reading and for any replies, happy building friends!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You can save some money by just honing the cylinders and reusing the pistons as long as the cylinder walls and pistons aren't scored real bad.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:28 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Busted's right. A good honing can clean up the cylinders and resize them. Just make sure the pistons are still within clearance tolerances. A good machine shop should be able to tell you if everything is within tolerance before they start work or if it has to be bored. The machinist should have the pistons to fit after a bore anyway, so he can tell you if you need to buy them or not. The crankshaft needs to be inspected and polished as well. The bearing surfaces will be measured and the proper bearings used.

He should be able to mill the block deck if it needs it also. Most of this you can do yourself if you are good with measuring devises and take your time. The block deck is the only thing that will have to be done in a shop.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Just got a deal worked out, getting the entire thing rebuilt for 1500 and some of my labor. this will be a fresh engine, cant start til spring sadly because i will need to have my motorcycle as my daily for the week while it gets done.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Consider a rebuild is a sum total of 3 things, any one of them below par and the whole is bad. 1. Quality machine work most important 2. Skill of engine rebuilder 3. Quality of parts used.

I listed these in order of importance IMO I have built SBC's for as little as $200 to just throw in a car to sell or as much as $500-600 on machine work for a build for a truck I planned on using. Its important to know what is going to be done with the rebuild not just the to the block but the head also and what new parts are going to be used. Dave pointed to a lot of areas that need to be covered but "most" all of our engines with this kind of mileage can't get buy with a hone alone. but you never know till you put a bore mic in them.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Consider a rebuild is a sum total of 3 things, any one of them below par and the whole is bad. 1. Quality machine work most important 2. Skill of engine rebuilder 3. Quality of parts used.

I listed these in order of importance IMO I have built SBC's for as little as $200 to just throw in a car to sell or as much as $500-600 on machine work for a build for a truck I planned on using. Its important to know what is going to be done with the rebuild not just the to the block but the head also and what new parts are going to be used. Dave pointed to a lot of areas that need to be covered but "most" all of our engines with this kind of mileage can't get buy with a hone alone. but you never know till you put a bore mic in them.
Whats getting done to my engine is normally 4000$ but i am assisting with the build and i have to put his stickers on my windows along with some of my labor around the shop helping out with other ZJ projects.