Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Random rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Random rough idle

Jeep Cherokee 2000 Inline 6 with 230k miles no check engine codes
I've been trying to figure out a rough idle and stall that seems to not be repeatable. I've been driving around logging some of the ODBII data and it finally did what my wife had been reporting. Previously she had taken it to the shop and they have already replaced the TPS and the CAM Position Sensor. And I've pulled the IAC it had a lot of build up so I cleaned it and the throttle body. ECU has a sticker indicating it was replaced in 2001

There are 3 different times in the below the engine was stumbling and once it stalled ( image and link to full data set below )
1) Right from start, after sitting for 7 hours it started up rough which is not normal/repeatable
2) Sitting in traffic about 2 miles down the road 02 sensors go low, fuel trim stays flat and the rpms dropped to 0
3) Sitting at idle in a parking lot fuel trim rises engine noticeably miss firing it rev the RPMs and it clears up then again a short while later.... then nothing
4) Didn't notice this one until looking at the image I just posted below the fuel trim increase a little later in the drive

So any thoughts on what I should replace next or troubleshooting steps to take? It took me 10 days to catch this one occurrence.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by mrbythatmuch; 03-20-2018 at 12:42 AM.