Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Draining new battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Draining new battery

Hi bought my 1998 Grand 2 months ago. I have a new battery in it but noticed that when car is parked over night or for more than 6hours the battery is drained. Not sure what is pulling it. Also noticed that if the car is off for an hour already the power windows and mirrors stills works? Please help?
Old 03-16-2018, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You have a "Grand Cherokee" and they have their own forum. This forum is for regular Cherokees (XJ). Link below as to where you should post for your Grand Cherokee.

You have what is called a "parasitic drain". Something is staying on and draining power with the key off. Plenty of articles online as to how you would go about troubleshooting it, but it can be tricky at times. Good luck!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/
Old 03-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It must have been moved already 'cause here it is! You should check out "Bleepin' Jeeps" on YouTube about the parasitic draw. This guy goes way beyond just checking the fuses and into what on that circuit could be the problem.

If the jeep has an aftermarket radio and still uses the Infinity Gold amplifier, the amp may not be turning off with the radio. Just something to check.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

My parasitic draw was less dramatic. The battery would just go down in charge gradually. My problem was the bcm not shutting down all the way when the car was off, and locked up. Turned out to be the door and rear hatch locks, stuck in the open position. It always thought I was unlocking the door.
What he needs to start is a digital meter, even the cheap ones have the 10A DC feature. Just put it in series with the battery when the car is off and you will see any draining. Then you can hunt for it by seeing when it stops as you plug unplug etc.
Note, if it's a 10 amp meter, dont turn on stuff that draws more that that or you will blow the little glass fuse in the meter and be sol. (heater, windows, door locks, ...and really, dont crank the engine...+_