Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Pullies and Belts Replaced - Car Wont Start [Solved]

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Pullies and Belts Replaced - Car Wont Start [Solved]

So over the weekend I shelled out $350 to have a Tires Plus change a couple pullies that were squealing and check the Jeep over to find out if there were any problems they could diagnose and fix.

Come to find out they don't even have a tool to pull the codes. Nice that they had no clue of this prior to selling me the service. I got my money back on that.

So I get the Jeep back and leave, I immediately stall in the middle of 3 lanes of traffic on a busy road. Won't start . Had to push it off to the side, spend 4 hours waiting for a tow. By the way -- just want to thank all the drivers for honking at me as I frantically tried to start the thing back up. I had no idea I was stuck in the middle of a busy street . The honking made everything so much more enjoyable. Gotta love people.

Tried putting gas in it hoping it was just empty but nope.

Towed it literally 100 yards up the street to a Jeep Dealership. Within two hours they found a broken ground and fixed it. Fires right up now.

$260 in "labor".

I had some problems with the fuel gauge falling to empty and coming back up to actual level while driving. The lights also flickered inside and on the dash. Would a fixed ground cure both symptoms???
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by po0dingles
I shelled out $350 to have a Tires Plus

I had some problems with the fuel gauge falling to empty and coming back up to actual level while driving. The lights also flickered inside and on the dash. Would a fixed ground cure both symptoms???
theres your first problem

and yes, a bad ground can cause electrical stuff to go crazy
Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dnuccio
theres your first problem

and yes, a bad ground can cause electrical stuff to go crazy

I know. Needless to say, I won't be going back there.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'd like to tell you about a little incident that happened to me in Orlando, Florida. My brother-in-law is a free-lance plumber. We came into a major intersection to find a black man in an old pickup stalled right in the middle of a double 4-lane traffic signal. Everyone was honking their horns and swearing at him as they went around him. Rod and I were from Syracuse. We looked at each other and decided to help. Rod pulled up behind him and we manually pushed him out of the middle and into a gas station, leaving Rod's truck in the middle. This black man was totally amazed that two white boys helped him! Be that as it may, while walking back to the truck, a cop showed up and wanted to give ROD a ticket for blocking the intersection! Can you believe it? The black man was trying to tell the cop what had happened and was told to shut up! This was racism at it's worst. Rod told the cop to go ahead and write the ticket, but be prepared to testify in court because he would fight it. The cop walked away. I found it odd that people weren't honking or swearing while the cop was there!

People just don't like their daily lives changed by the unexpected. They don't realize it could have been THEM that had the problem. Selfish bastards.

Last edited by dave1123; 08-12-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Yeah it wasn't exactly easy pushing this pile off to the side of the road.