Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Problems Shifting In To OD Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2L V8 MPI
Default Problems Shifting In To OD Overdrive

So we just bought a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 4WD in really nice condition. The engine runs very smooth, no issues there. The transmission has a couple issues, a whine when first put it in gear or put it in reverse, and will drive just fine with OD off. When you have OD on and come to a stop it will shake the car and might kill the motor. But starts right back up. So if I am driving can I turn OD on when it reaches 50mph while cruising down the highway and as long as I turn it off before I stop it seems mostly work with a few hickups now and then. Like if I try to accelerate like I am trying to pass someone or if I slow down for traffic then try to accelerate back up to cruising speed it does a stuttering hesitation but as long as I accelerate slowly and smoothly I can baby it and make it work. The previous owner said it could be as simple as needing a fluid change, a torque convertor or even a full rebuild. He had bought a new vehicle and just didn't care enough to fix it. P.S. Why is the 96 considered the red headed step child of the xj's? Also is there a more precise way to refer to our new Jeep? or is XJ it?

We just bought a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 4WD in really nice condition. The engine runs very smooth, no issues there. The transmission has a couple issues, a whine when first put it in gear or put it in reverse, and will drive just fine with OD off. When you have OD on and come to a stop it will shake the car and might kill the motor. But starts right back up. So if I am driving can I turn OD on when it reaches 50mph while cruising down the highway and as long as I turn it off before I stop it seems mostly work with a few hickups now and then. Like if I try to accelerate like I am trying to pass someone or if I slow down for traffic then try to accelerate back up to cruising speed it does a stuttering hesitation but as long as I accelerate slowly and smoothly I can baby it and make it work. The previous owner said it could be as simple as needing a fluid change, a torque convertor or even a full rebuild. He had bought a new vehicle and just didn't care enough to fix it. P.S. Why is the 96 considered the red headed step child of the zj's?

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
The next question is, which vehicle do you have?

The answer is, a Grand Cherokee, which is not the same as a Cherokee, and has its own forum, right here. You'll have a better chance of getting the right answers in the right forum.
Yeah, I figured that out last night. It is a zj if I understand correctly. But thanks for your help.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 4WD I have figured out it is called the ZJ I believe? but the VIN decoders I have used just say it is a 4-Spd. Automatic 4RE Transmission , but after looking it appears there are 2 possible options:
4-speed 44RE automatic
or the
4-speed 46RE automatic

It is the V8 5.2L and it is a 4 wheel drive.

Originally Posted by wingless
Welcome to the forum.

Your ZJ Jeep has the 44RE transmission.

The 46RE was only used in the '98 ZJ w/ the 5.9L engine.
Thank you! Hope to be able to contribute as much as possible. How could I tell the difference between a 44RE 2WD & 4WD? Also does anyone have a link to the ATSG PDF manual for diagnostics and tear down?

Originally Posted by wingless
Glad to help.

The 4WD transmission has a large, flat flange on the output, where the transfer case is bolted to the transmission. The 2WD transmission has a tapered housing cone at the output shaft.

Here is my 46RH rebuild topic.

The ATSG manual is very good. The FSM has an excellent transmission section, plus the FSM is a required document for owning / maintaining this vehicle.
Can I turn a 2wd 44RE in to a 4wd by unbolting that cone?

So we just bought a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 4WD in really nice condition. The engine runs very smooth, no issues there. The transmission has a couple issues, a whine when first put it in gear or put it in reverse, and will drive just fine with OD off. When you have OD on and come to a stop it will shake the car and might kill the motor. But starts right back up. So if I am driving can I turn OD on when it reaches 50mph while cruising down the highway and as long as I turn it off before I stop it seems mostly work with a few hickups now and then. Like if I try to accelerate like I am trying to pass someone or if I slow down for traffic then try to accelerate back up to cruising speed it does a stuttering hesitation but as long as I accelerate slowly and smoothly I can baby it and make it work. The previous owner said it could be as simple as needing a fluid change, a torque convertor or even a full rebuild. He had bought a new vehicle and just didn't care enough to fix it. P.S. Why is the 96 considered the red headed step child of the zj's?

Last edited by cruiser54; 06-08-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Can I turn a 2wd 44RE in to a 4wd by unbolting that cone?
Nope. The output shaft of the O/D unit needs to be shorter to bolt on the transfer case. You can use BOTH a 4wd O/D unit AND transfer case on a 2wd 44re, but it takes a lot of assembly work. I'm thinking your transfer case has a busted snap ring in it. Just to check, do a manual downshift while rolling and see if you get any engine braking. If not, that's a dead giveaway.

The O/D unit can be unbolted from the transmission and replaced/rebuilt without dropping the transmission. Be careful because there is a specific way to remove the unit with a broken snap ring! There's an 800 lb spring inside it that that snap ring holds in place.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-10-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

Digital_Dad should please stop creating additional new topics for every nuance to the inquiry on his issue.

Please pick an existing topic then add the next inquiry to that topic. This method ensure continuity, not only today, but at some point in the future when these problems are faced by another user all of the information will be together.

Originally Posted by dave1123
The O/D unit can be unbolted from the transmission and replaced/rebuilt without dropping the transmission. Be careful because there is a specific way to remove the unit with a broken snap ring! There's an 800 lb spring inside it that that snap ring holds in place.
The guts of the overdrive section slides right out after removing some retention rings.

There are two snap rings, an inner and an outer, that are retaining the 830 lbs direct drive spring force.

The following users liked this post:
Jmz Miller (01-01-2022)