Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

power steering fluid leaking through ac condenser

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default power steering fluid leaking through ac condenser

I was wondering if u have to remove the radiator to replace the condenser?
And is it possible for the power steering fluid to leak through the ac condenser? Its a 04 cherokee thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Twotall (05-13-2022)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

your tranny is cooled thru the radiator are you sere its not that
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM

From what I could see is the power steering lines run into the ac condenser and the power steering fluid is leaking out of the fins in the condenser. I find it weird that power steering fluid runs through the condenser I searched but cant find anything on this.
The following users liked this post:
Twotall (05-13-2022)
Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

That doesn't sound right... power steering fluid doesn't mix with the a/c system... although mine is an '89, still doesn't make sense to me....
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM

I just did some more research and found this I guess it is true. So does anyone know if i have to take the radiator out to change the condenser?

07-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Transmission fluid cooler on WJs is actually inside the radiator. What you see in front of radiator is the air conditioner condenser and the power steering fluid cooler (for V8s with a hydraulically driven fan with pressure supplied by the power steering pump).

EDIT: I just took a look at my 2004, and it appears that that the power steering fluid cooler is actually the top section of the air conditioner condenser. In other words, the the thing in front of the radiator has a portion that cools the power steering fluid and a portion that functions a condenser.

In my '01 and in the '03 that you looked at, there are two separate units.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:04 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7l v-8
Default transmission cooler

so i am trying to trouble shoot my 2004 jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7 l v-8 overheated and i have transmission oil in radiator {orange goo} drained and refilled raditor and when bleeding i have
{orange goo} shooting out of transmission overfill.when the trans cooler fails is this what happens?what do i need to replace ? is the radiator and trans cooler one unit?when i spoke to jeep dealer in nj the parts guy could notell me.need to do work myself minus the trans flush i need.once fixed can i drive tran 5 miles to ammco for flush without destroying tranny? only leagal car i have so i need help. thanks.mike
Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM

Year: 93'
Engine: I6

after replacing the radiator I would change the trans fluid and then have it flushed even 5 miles is gray trans oil will float sending the coolant through the system first
Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7
Default 01 Grand Cherokee PS Cooler

??

Last edited by tlegg6; 09-16-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7
Default Power Steering Cooler 2001 JGC

Hi,
Not sure if you received my earlier attempt at replying to your ps cooler post?
I have an 01 Grand Cherokee 4.7 ltr and today (9/15) replaced the ps pump. Everything was going fine until I high idled the engine after replacing the pump and shortly thereafter a rupture/leak occurred... it is a heavy spraying type leak and appears to be coming from the lower end (fwd looking aft) of the ac condenser. Now I am thinking (after reading your post) that it might very well be the ps cooler. None of the line connections are leaking.
Can you tell me where you found your info that led you to the ps cooler? I cannot find any illustrations or removal procedures for this component (or ac condenser). Any additional info you might have is MUCH appreciated... car is currently dead in the water.

Terry
Old 09-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mikeydof3
so i am trying to trouble shoot my 2004 jeep grand cherokee limited 4.7 l v-8 overheated and i have transmission oil in radiator {orange goo} drained and refilled raditor and when bleeding i have
{orange goo} shooting out of transmission overfill.when the trans cooler fails is this what happens?what do i need to replace ? is the radiator and trans cooler one unit?when i spoke to jeep dealer in nj the parts guy could notell me.need to do work myself minus the trans flush i need.once fixed can i drive tran 5 miles to ammco for flush without destroying tranny? only leagal car i have so i need help. thanks.mike
DO NOT DRIVE IT with coolant in the tranny! It is not a good hydraulic fluid or bearing lubricant! You may already have done damage. IMO, change the radiator, drain and change fluid in transmission, THEN get it professionally flushed.

Yes, the transmission cooler is inside the radiator and is not servicable. My 97 ZJ with tow package had an additional cooler in front of the radiator. People have made the mistake of bypassing the rad cooler because of leaks, but it doesn't WARM the tranny in the winter.

Last edited by dave1123; 09-17-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:25 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by meankfx
From what I could see is the power steering lines run into the ac condenser and the power steering fluid is leaking out of the fins in the condenser. I find it weird that power steering fluid runs through the condenser I searched but cant find anything on this.
same here with a 2014 Dodge avenger..got in a wreck noticed the AC lines were mangled and cut them off all my power steering fluid leaked out
Old 06-26-2022, 12:10 PM

Engine: 4.7 L

Originally Posted by meankfx
I'm having the same issue and yes top portion is the power steering cooler and bottom portion is ac condescending ( cooler) unit. The tanks are shared but divided if a leak develops between the divided tanks could it cause high pressure in the power steering system?
Old 06-26-2022, 01:01 PM

Engine: 4.7 L

Originally Posted by freegdr
your tranny is cooled thru the radiator are you sere its not that
that has nothing to do with his Question.