Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

^^Pass Door and Light Issue^^

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default ^^Pass Door and Light Issue^^

Hey guys. Big G JimmygG here again. This time I have an issue with the passenger side front door. When you close the door the courtesy lights stay on inside the jeep until you drive down the road or hit a bump. Also sometime while driving or hitting a bump the light will come back on.

My tech friend on here (PeterB) seems to think that it maybe electrical or something is loose. Anyone have this problem or have a possible fix?

Again, this is a 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L.

Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, Jimmy. Inside the door mounted on the latch is a microswitch that controls the courtesy lights and the overheard console telling you that a door is open. This switch is either loose or the plunger is worn down. This switch replaces the old door jamb switches you and I are familiar with. If it's like the ones in my hatch, they are held in by one phillips head screw and a slight turn to remove. I just checked a couple of parts sites and it looks like it's a dealer or pick&pull part.

There are 2 on my hatch and one latch wasn't latching so the interior lights and the chime went on after the slightest bump. I took out the switch and tied it down with a cable tie until I can get another latch.