Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

overhead temperature console

Old 01-31-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default overhead temperature console

hi all, new guy here, glad I found the forum.
I am retired and recently moved to Brownsville,tx. from chilly Wisconsin. really like the weather here. I recently started surf fishing here and found out my Toyota prius is not a good car for the beach.so, I bought a 2002 grand Cherokee limited with the 4.7 V8 engine. most everything is working fine. But, I did notice the overhead outside temperature read -40 below. in Wisconsin I would have believed that, but not in Texas. I did some research on this and other forums and found out where the sensor is located. right by the right headlight housing. looking around by the battery I found a wire connector hanging down empty.i then looked at pic's of the sensor and thought they looked similar. I ordered a sensor off the internet, plugged it in to empty harness and Voila, temp is working. now my problem. I can see down by the grill when the sensor is supposed to be mounted, but, the harness is not long enough to reach the mounting location. it looks like the harness may have been cut and spliced back together by the sensor plugin. I wire tied it. to a hole by the engine but it too close to the engine and only reads correctly until I stop at a few stoplights, then it goes up. after this long winded post, my question is this; can I splice some new wires onto the harness long enough to mount it down on the grill where it belongs. I know this is trivial, but I am the type of person that if it on it should work.
thanks for reading, jeri
Old 01-31-2018, 09:28 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Yes you can. The sensor is merely a thermistor, or in other words, a temperature sensitive resistor. Just make sure your connections are clean and secure so the readings sent back are accurate. On my 2000, the sensor is clipped to the back of a grill support brace (black plastic) in the center of the grill.

Funny story, once when conditions were just right, not a breath of air moving, I parked my car to wait for someone. The air temp was about 40*F. After about 20 minutes, my contact arrived and I fired it up. The overhead console read 115*F! As soon as we got moving, it went back down to 40*F. It must have been air coming from the radiator that it was sensing.