Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Oil leak? Please help

Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil leak? Please help

Hello everyone, this is my first time ever posting to an online vehicle related forum. I am hoping to get some help in finding out why my 2002 Grand Cherokee (4.0) is leaking oil. It has about 96k miles on it, automatic transmission, 2WD.

When I pulled into my garage after about a 10-15 mile trip into town and parked, I went back outside about 20 minutes later and noticed a small puddle of oil under the center of the jeep, closer to the front. I will include pictures below of where exactly the oil is dripping from. The puddle measures about 5 inches across. All my gauges are fine, but my oil dipstick indicated that I needed to add a bit. I am not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to vehicles, motors, etc. so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Hello and welcome to the forum. My first inclination is that your Jeep isn't leaking in the area you think it is. I have seen a number of times where the oil appears to be coming out of the spot you have high lighted but in reality it was coming from a leaky o-ring behind the oil filter adapter. I don't mean the rubber o-ring on the actual oil filter but the one between the engine block and the metal adapter the oil filter screws on to.

What happens is the oil can leak out of this o-ring then it runs along a small ledge down the side of the block and works it's way down and comes out the lowest point which is the area you have marked as the "Leak Area". I am not saying this is what is happening with your Jeep for sure but I would check this out first as I have seen this to be the case a number of times. If everything is greasy and oily you may need to clean it up good to check things out
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

like programbo said, i would check your oil filter adapter, if theres any signs of built up sludge or fresh oil i would replace the gasket (its cheap, and relatively easy, i believe the adapter is held on with two bolts) after replacing it clean up the engine block with a tooth brush and some degreaser, inspect it every once in a while, if you notice more oil building up on your nice clean engine then try and trace it back, if you notice the oil coming out of the same place again it could possibly be your rear main seal (this one is a PITA, you may want to ask a mechanically inclined friend or neighbor for help, most shops charge an arm and a leg for it)

And in the future as a hint, any time you notice an oil leak, but cant trace it back to well here's what you do, clean your entire engine with degreaser, starting at the top and working down, clean it till it looks factory, now every few days visually inspect the engine for signs of a leak, and when you find it replace the appropriate gasket and then clean the engine again.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 PM

Talking

Thanks guys, ill be cleaning the engine tomorrow and taking a look at that part as you suggested. I appreciate the replies!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It's just a single bolt that holds the adapter on, but it is tight as hell and there is very little space to get a T60 Torx bit in there. It can be done in an hour if you have the tools and take your time. I knock a T60 Torx bit out of the socket an put a box end wrench on the bit with a cheater bar.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Thank you, Busted for sharing that little bit of wisdom. It's little things like that that make life with Jeeps easier.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 PM

I greatly appreciate all your advice and replies so far everyone! I got under my jeep this morning after I drove it home and cleaned it up a bit and I immediately noticed a very, very slow, but steady trickle of oil coming off of a part that I am not familiar with. Could someone identify it for me? The oil is coming out of the little hole that I have the arrow pointed at. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

That is the starter, it should not have any oil in it. I think you have a valve cover leak and an oil filter adapter o ring leak.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kcdooley01
I greatly appreciate all your advice and replies so far everyone! I got under my jeep this morning after I drove it home and cleaned it up a bit and I immediately noticed a very, very slow, but steady trickle of oil coming off of a part that I am not familiar with. Could someone identify it for me? The oil is coming out of the little hole that I have the arrow pointed at. Thanks for the help!
If there is oil there then keep looking because it needs to be coming from somewhere higher up and working it's way down to that point. As mentioned the most likely sources of an oild leak above there are still the oil filter adapter (Or the oil filter itself if it's not on tight enough), the valve cover gasket or even the oil pressure sending unit.