Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

42re Overdrive Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 42re Overdrive Issues

i've owned my junk for about a year and a half now and still have the same issue with the overdrive as when i bought it.

issue: after being driven for 30 min or more, i have to trick it to go into OD by either junting the throttle after i've got my speed up or pushing it up into N, then back into drive with the speed over 50mph ??
this works most of the time but on warmer days, it won't find OD at all. and one very aggravating thing it does is if my speed drops below 50mph, then it kicks out back to 3rd which can be dangerous if some one's riding my back bumper.

things i've done so far:
-new fluid/filter
-new shifting solenoid and pressure transducer
-checked the brake light switch but didn't replace(next move)
-took it to transmission shop where it stayed a week but they told me the transmission itself was fine but whatever is in charge of sending the OD command seemed to be the problem. it doesn't give any codes either on the check engine or the OD off light. he also said that it wasn't an overheating issue which i think is a common cause.

besides a new brake light switch, i'm gonna get a new TPS and cross my fingers.

i know this is a common problem but i really haven't seen a solution for mine yet.

i found out my trans was a swap after i had to trade in the 3-pin pressure transduce that i bought according to '93, but the one i pulled out was a 4-pin which i was told didn't show up 'til around '96.

i really hate the thought of tolerating this another summer.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i solved this issue by replacing the OD/Lockup solenoid. i used the existing wiring harness instead of the new which exempted me from having to drop the valve body. i did unbolt the shifting gov and pressure transducer solenoid just to be able to remove the 3 torx screws, unhooked the wiring in the middle of it, put the new one on, put the connector back, put the other stuff back on.

OD works like its supposed to now. shifting in fine and not kicking out at 50mph.

thanks to 'KOLAK performance' for mentioning this part to me, which i didn't know existed before.