Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

new here and new jeeper with simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new here and new jeeper with simple questions

Hey guys what's up and I'm glad to have found this place! I bought an 01 jgc limited loaded out with the 4.7 all stock with 64,981 miles on it. It is mint and fun to drive. And way smoother than my big black 99 ram with 5" lift and 37s. 20 mpgs? No maybe 10 in the dodge downhill but I'm avg 20.2 mpgs in the jeep! Amazing!! And fast, almost scared me with the launch it has. Loving it a lot.

OK so here's the deal. I'm my own mechanic for everything and looking to find what are the possible issues to come I can nick off right of the bat. Its a Chrysler product so should I be worried about the trans Like my in my dodge(100k-125k mile guarantee) or is it diff? Also how much lift to clear 31s but stay smooth riding? Not much off roadn mainly for eyecandy on the road. Recommended part houses? Does a flaspac help much? Simple bolt ons? Just any info y'all can help with I appreciate it guys! I'll be sure to return the favor with pics and cliffnotes
Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, right off the top, don't overheat it! 4.7s are noted for warping heads with an overheat. Head gaskets are a problem because of the aluminum heads and the steel block, being they expand at different rates. It's a good engine if treated well and maintained.

The transmission is a tender spot, but if taken care of and not abused will last.

You'll probably only need a 2" lift to run 31s. My WJ has 245/70R16s on it and they measure 29.5" diameter. They don't have a lot of clearance and I'm thinking I need a 2" lift for snow pack.

Unfortunately, jeep decided they would sell more if they made them more of a family car than off-roader. The "frame" is thinner than it was on the ZJs and the bumpers are more of a fascia than an actual bumper. They're just plastic with a foam backer and not much behind that either. If your limited came with front tow hooks, use them gently. If you ****** with them, they'll tear out. For rear recovery points, use a trailer hitch.

I'm not familiar with a flaspac. What are you talking about.

Welcome to CF and the world of Jeepin'.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-09-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
Okay, right off the top, don't overheat it! 4.7s are noted for warping heads with an overheat. Head gaskets are a problem because of the aluminum heads and the steel block, being they expand at different rates. It's a good engine if treated well and maintained.

The transmission is a tender spot, but if taken care of and not abused will last.

You'll probably only need a 2" lift to run 31s. My WJ has 245/70R16s on it and they measure 29.5" diameter. They don't have a lot of clearance and I'm thinking I need a 2" lift for snow pack.

Unfortunately, jeep decided they would sell more if they made them more of a family car than off-roader. The "frame" is thinner than it was on the ZJs and the bumpers are more of a fascia than an actual bumper. They're just plastic with a foam backer and not much behind that either. If your limited came with front tow hooks, use them gently. If you ****** with them, they'll tear out. For rear recovery points, use a trailer hitch.

I'm not familiar with a flaspac. What are you talking about.

Welcome to CF and the world of Jeepin'.
Thanks man!
Yeah I figured the 4.7 was the same as the Dodge's 4.7 with overheating issues and the tranny. But didn't know bout the tow hooks being more show than practical use and the frame being light. I'm mainly wanting to lift it with 31s to be different than others. Stock it reminds me of a grocery getter.

And I misspelled flaspac which is the super chips flashpac. I wish it gave it the 50hp like the later model 4.7. But oh well it has plenty of power to turn 31s stock. I'm going to start reading threads! Thanks Dave
Old 07-09-2014, 07:28 PM

OK so the tags that are typically on the rear end that tell the gear ratio are missing. Anywhere to look to find what gear do I have? Hoping 3.73 or 4.11 and what lug pattern is this thing. All my stuff is 5x5.5 this is smaller. Maybe 5x5? Anyone know for sure?

How does the front end engage? I was climbing a ditch bank nosed down backing up the ditch testing if the 4*4 works and the rear spun the tires but then the front end engaged. Strange. How does it know its spinning the rear?
I do apologize for all the questions. I'm just new to this
Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Okay, here's what I know. The bolt pattern is 5X5 with 1/2X20 studs. I've replaced all my lug nuts with solid "Gorilla" nuts because the thin steel shells came off over time.

I think the ZJ standard holds true with the WJs in that jeeps with the tow package have 3.73 gearing and ones that don't have 3.55 gearing. An optional limited-slip rear was available if ordered. Be aware that Jeep's "build your own" program allowed the OP to have it just about any way he wanted it. I've been told the 4.11 was standard in the Wrangler.

I think your jeep has the Quadratrac II system which I know nothing about.

Another stickler is that stupid hydraulic drive cooling fan. If it needs to be fixed, it is expensive. The idea behind it was to reduce the electrical load on the system. One of Jeep's better ideas? NOT! Some guys have gone to an electric fan system rather than repair it, but then have problems with the CEL light.

You're right about it being a grocery-getter, but able to get them in any weather. I've pushed snow up to the headlights with no problems. The Limited is truly a nice vehicle that wouldn't be out of place at the opera. My major problem with the WJ is it looks like so many other SUVs out there you have to see the grill to know it's a Jeep! My WJ is white and I'm thinking of doing it in zebra stripes so it will look different.

Last edited by dave1123; 07-10-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:13 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome! I own a 96 ZJ (I know 5 year difference) but I know I fit my 265/75 (close to 31s) with no lift. Looks better since I put the 2 inch coil spacer lift. My front end does a lot of rubbing on the lower control arm or the track bar when i do a sharp turn. I do believe that's what it rubs on. 1/4" wheel spacers should fix that. I'm not too sure how it would do on yours thou since it's newer.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 AM

You should be able to clear 31s with a 2 inch lift but be prepared with possibly rubbing... That's what I was getting at haha.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks guys and gal lol y'all are awesome! I ordered my super chip 3875 flaspaq. Got it cheap and new on eBay yesterday for 215$......SOLD!

have my hypertech power programmer 3 for all 1999 dodge v8 truck and SUV's for sale if anyone wants it. 200$ obo. Listed on eBay aswell. But would trade for a 2-2.5 lift with shocks and cash on my end if needed
Old 07-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by DirtyZjGirl
Welcome! I own a 96 ZJ (I know 5 year difference) but I know I fit my 265/75 (close to 31s) with no lift. Looks better since I put the 2 inch coil spacer lift. My front end does a lot of rubbing on the lower control arm or the track bar when i do a sharp turn. I do believe that's what it rubs on. 1/4" wheel spacers should fix that. I'm not too sure how it would do on yours thou since it's newer.
The ZJs had a lot more wheelwell clearance than the WJs. You know, if you didn't want to use wheel spacers, you could adjust the steering stops to prevent the rubbing and save your hub bearings and u-joints.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Adjust steering stops? I'll have to look into what that is first lol. Assuming you mean so it doesn't rub on the control arms? If I were to go with a slight negative offset wheel that would prevent some rubbing but the wheel well is tight. Honestly be as thinking bout doing some first gen srt8 Cherokee 20x9s black wrapped on some dune grapplers. Idk i been doing a lot of reading and research on these wj's and it looks to be a headache but will be cool looking.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by dave1123
The ZJs had a lot more wheelwell clearance than the WJs. You know, if you didn't want to use wheel spacers, you could adjust the steering stops to prevent the rubbing and save your hub bearings and u-joints.
Ya I've kinda learned what my maximum steering radius is before I start rubbing. That way was another option for me. Didn't think 1/4" wheel spacers would do much harm. I'm still learning! Lol.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jeep-newb
Adjust steering stops? I'll have to look into what that is first lol. Assuming you mean so it doesn't rub on the control arms? If I were to go with a slight negative offset wheel that would prevent some rubbing but the wheel well is tight. Honestly be as thinking bout doing some first gen srt8 Cherokee 20x9s black wrapped on some dune grapplers. Idk i been doing a lot of reading and research on these wj's and it looks to be a headache but will be cool looking.
If I remember correctly it adjusts your maximum steering radius so it stops your steering to prevent rubbing when turning. You can find out how far u can turn before it starts rubbing and adjust it so that's as far cranked u can go.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's a bolt in your spindle that u adjust I'm pretty sure
Old 07-13-2014, 06:30 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Yes, each side has an adjustable bolt with lock nut to stop the steering knuckle from turning too far. It's near the bottom just rearward of the ball joint. You can set them about 1/2 inch farther out and see if the tires still rub. They will increase your minimum turning radius, but you'll have a positive stop before rubbing.

I personally don't like wheel spacers because they tend to loosen up and snap studs. They also put more load on your hub bearings. The more the tire's center of load is moved away from the bearing hub, the quicker they will wear out. This is just my opinion and others don't agree.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 PM

My super chips flashpaq 3875 came in the mail today. I ripped the shipping box open, opened the programmer box and went to programming. The 91octane performance tune is a beast! I am currently running a full tank of 93 octane and it loves it. I can tell a big difference in the shift pattern as well. Before coming in for the night, I put in the towing tune to see how that does going to work (30 miles one way) pulling my boat. I love this experimenting!