Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Using new style throttle body on old style 3.7L WK...retrofit questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Using new style throttle body on old style 3.7L WK...retrofit questions

Hey again guys.

I've got an issue. I'm rebuilding this 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the intake manifold I removed had a hole in the back of it you could throw a squirrel through without contacting the sides. I ordered a new intake manifold, and I've installed all new head gaskets, resurfaced heads, everything....Except for the throttle body.

I now have a major issue. The throttle body that I have does NOT fit the intake installed. It's the wrong one. I really don't want to have to remove tons of stuff to take the intake back off, so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to run a different throttle body on these Jeeps than what was stock.

Here is the dilemma. The one I needed to install, and the throttle body I currently have, is this one.

Using new style throttle body on old style 3.7L WK...retrofit questions-q6minb0.jpg

The throttle body this intake is set up to accept, however, is this one.

Using new style throttle body on old style 3.7L WK...retrofit questions-isiyeyk.jpg

I'm hoping someone has a fix for this. I don't have another throttle body yet, so I don't know what it will affect. I don't know if it has the same connectors, or if it's even possible for me to install this without getting check engine lights. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm thinking maybe an adapter? If I was still working, I could make you one.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
I'm thinking maybe an adapter? If I was still working, I could make you one.
I think I could make one, but do you think it would actually work?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As long as the gaskets are sealed, why not? all you'd be doing is spacing it up the thickness of the adapter. I've made a bunch of Rochester and Carter to Holly carb adapters in my day and they worked just fine. The trick is getting the bores to line up. Bigger or smaller doesn't matter much as long as the transition is smooth. I even made one to fit a Weber on a Harley. I made mine out of 6061-T6 aluminum. Even cast plate will work. You may have to use socket cap screws to mount it to the manifold. These are hex socket bolts and can be found at industrial supply houses. They have to be counterbored for the head to fit flush or below the top of the plate. DO NOT ATTEMPT to do this with a hand drill! I generally used 1/2 or 3/4 plate. If you've got the room, you can use flathead screws that are just countersunk.

As long as you're using the original throttle body, it should work the cats! OH! And if there are any vacuum ports in the bottom, they'll have to be put in as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dave1123
As long as the gaskets are sealed, why not? all you'd be doing is spacing it up the thickness of the adapter. I've made a bunch of Rochester and Carter to Holly carb adapters in my day and they worked just fine. The trick is getting the bores to line up. Bigger or smaller doesn't matter much as long as the transition is smooth. I even made one to fit a Weber on a Harley. I made mine out of 6061-T6 aluminum. Even cast plate will work. You may have to use socket cap screws to mount it to the manifold. These are hex socket bolts and can be found at industrial supply houses. They have to be counterbored for the head to fit flush or below the top of the plate. DO NOT ATTEMPT to do this with a hand drill! I generally used 1/2 or 3/4 plate. If you've got the room, you can use flathead screws that are just countersunk.

As long as you're using the original throttle body, it should work the cats! OH! And if there are any vacuum ports in the bottom, they'll have to be put in as well.
Fabricator doesn't seem to think it's possible and isn't willing to try. What do you think it would cost me to have a machinist make one? I know a few, so I know I can convince them to do it. The cost of a new manifold is about $100 plus my 2+ hours removing the old one, so if it's less than 250 bucks, I'd probably be willing to do it.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Is the new intake the same as the old damaged intake manifold? And if so, why not use the original throttle body? How did the intake manifold get a hole in it?
Old 07-14-2014, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Is the new intake the same as the old damaged intake manifold? And if so, why not use the original throttle body? How did the intake manifold get a hole in it?
Have to get pictures from my work computer, but I don't know how it got a hole in the back of it. It came to me like that, as an auction buy. Also, broke one of the major rules...I allowed my helper to throw away the old manifold after removing the sensor, because he was trying to clean up. It's a ****ing rule! Keep the old parts until it's running again! Dammit!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I would try eBay or the boneyard to find the correct part. Trying to rig something up will cost you more in the long run.