Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New to the forum! 17yrs old and doing an engine swap. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default New to the forum! 17yrs old and doing an engine swap. Any advice?

This here is my 2001 jeep grand cherokee limited with the the 4.7L v8. It was my dads until the engine seized at only 160k miles after he missed an oil change. My dad told me that if I could fix it I could have it. I didn't know a ton about replacing engines or mechanic'n except for my basic high school auto shop class. I decided to take him up on his offer and for my 16th birthday he gave me a loan and I went and bought a new engine to put in. My neighbor was nice enough to let me use his shop to do the swap and he knows a bit about jeeps and was able to give me some advice when I got stuck but for the most part I have done this all by myself with nothin but some tools and a Haynes manual. I got the engine out and I finally got it back in and am just trying to figure out where some of these extra bolts and wires go (darn my short term memory). I am really glad I did this and it has been a great experience so far. I just need a little help getting everything back together so I can finally get it running again!

this is the new engine I bought that came out of a 2001 dodge Durango with 116k miles on it. I spent close to 2k on the engine which I know was probably too much but I wanted to make it as easy as possible for my first engine swap so I bought one that already had a lot of the stuff on it.

this was when I first got started and had pulled most of just the front end off.

took me a while to get the radiator out because some of the hoses. I also accidentally mixed up the ac lines with the transmission cooler lines and pulled those off before I discharged the system( that's a 5,000$ whoops if I get caught by the EPA) but my neighbor said most people just unplug them anyway so they don't have to deal with the hassle of discharging the system.

got the intake manifold removed along with the injectors, fuel rail and coil packs.

got the engine out and I was really glad I decided to bite the bullet and buy an engine hoist instead of renting one. It has been really useful for more than just removing the engine and I probably saved a lot of money than if I would've rented one.

It took me quite a few tries to get the engine back in and hooked up to the transmission and I learned that I should have unbolted the torque converter before I removed the engine. I tried putting the new engine back in with the torque converter bolted to it but that didn't work so I took it off and put it on the transmission first and then bolted it to the engine and that worked.

So the engine is in right now and I got the wiring harness almost all hooked up and the intake manifold and injectors back on as well as the radiator and all the pumps and pulleys. The only problem is I didn't take any reference pictures of underneath the jeep so I can't quite remember which transmission bolts go where and where the ground wires hook to the block.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Boy! It looks like you bit off quite a chunk with this one as your first! I have a couple questions. Are you using the Durango converter or your original? Does the converter spin freely after the engine is bolted to the trans? If it doesn't, it may be not engaging the pump's drive tangs and will destroy the pump on fire-up. Also, replace the CPS (crankshaft position sensor) because it's damaged very easily trying to install the engine.

Welcome to CF! I wish you had posted earlier so guys that have done this install could have directed you with it. I'm not trying to scare you, but IDK if the Durango trans is the same as the jeep's, so IDK if you needed the TK drive plate from the jeep or you can get away with the Durango's. I do know there have been problems with the torque converter drive bolts not lining up in some of these swaps.

The electrical grounds are important. You should never remove both ends of a ground strap so you'll know where they go later. Look for a bolt hole about 1/2 the strap's length away from the mounting point.

I've done quite a few engine swaps in my days and after several bad experiences, I always tag the wires with tape with at least a number in them and stick the bolts back into the mounting holes on anything I remove, if at all possible. It saves a lot of time on the re-install not having to search thru a box or can looking for the right ones.

Case in point; I had to take out the entire dash on my wife's Dodge K-car to replace the heater core. After I got it back together, I had 2 sheet metal screws left over. That dash squeaked over heavy bumps till the day we got rid of it!

Last edited by dave1123; 06-03-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM

The new engine I got did not come with a torque converter so I took the one my jeep came with and put it on the new engine and the bolt holes lined up perfectly and the TC spins freely so I think I am good on that. As far as I know the flex plate should be the same tooth on the new engine and it seemed to line up just fine.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:38 PM

I will try and take some pictures of the wires I need help with tommorow and maybe you can help me figure out where they go. Other than that I am almost ready to fire it up! I just need to put in all the fluids and get those wires figured out and it should start! Btw I really appreciate your input and advice and wish I would have joined this forum sooner.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Hey, kid, don't take my word for it because I've never even seen a 4.7 in the flesh! I do know the 4.0 and have a lot of GM experience, so things are easier to figure out. I can just about rebuild a Chevy small block in my sleep, but your 4.7 is out of my league.

I'm 69 years old and have been working on cars since I was 16. I try to avoid Fords because I really don't like them. I have some experience with the MGs and Triumph TR3 and TR4. Air cooled Beetles are fun also.

I was a Mopar man back in the 60s when the Road Runner was king of the street. A friend of mine owned a Hemi Road Runner. OMG! Now there was a car! My life changed when I got a fast ride in a 67 Z28 Camaro. I instantly bought a 67 SS 350 with 4-speed and 4.10 Posi rear. Can you say 12 second 1/4 miles? That's stock with traction bars and open headers.

Then I got married. I was driving old beatup Chevy pickups while my wife was in love with her Dodge Caravans. I finally bought my first jeep in 2008 and it was a beater.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-04-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Haha yeah I'm a huge gm fan too and hope to sell this jeep and get like a 72 gmc k20 or something that is easier to work on and has less wires
Old 06-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

-

Welcome to the Forum CJ! And best of luck with your Swap Engine Project.

See ya around. Enjoy your day.

PeterB.

-
Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Welcome to CF!

Let us know which ground wires you need referenced. Myself and many others can snap a pic for you or tell you off hand where they go.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Originally Posted by cjoffroadtrx97
Haha yeah I'm a huge gm fan too and hope to sell this jeep and get like a 72 gmc k20 or something that is easier to work on and has less wires
I had a 87 V10 (K10 pickup) with an 89 engine in it. This was a swap from a computer controlled carburator to TBI injection. The PO never got the electronics right but it ran like an enraged bull! The major problem with it was it's size. On a hunting trip, I tried to follow my friend's Wrangler thru the trees and didn't fit. That's when I bought my ZJ.

cjoffroadtrx97, Doing the job yourself is a truly enlightening experience and quite gratifying when it's done. I wish you all the luck.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:48 PM

Engine: 4.0

Looks like your doing well so far. I certainly admire your determination and at 17 you already know more about your jeep than most. I was also concerned about the torque converter when I first read your post but after you tried it out for movement you should be ok. I think jmonts just helped out another poster with those ground straps. Perhaps if you can get a pic he can help you with location.

Hey Dave, because this is a jeep forum, I'll ignore your comment about not liking Fords. Lol.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Hey, Fish! To each his own. I didn't mean to insult you, I just don't like them. Maybe because my Dad was a Ford man, 'dya think?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 PM

Engine: 4.0

Insulted my friend? Never! I was only joking with you. I like all cars (and even some foreign cars). Lots of cool Chevs. Just like Fords the best.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Old fart with a wrench

The only Ford I liked a lot was the 69 Mach 1 Mustang. They gave me headaches with my SS Camaro.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 PM

We'll I was gonna post pictures of those ground wires but I got them all figured out now. But thanks for offering to help! I found a buddy with a jeep GC and went and looked at it and found out that I had everything exactly in the right place except for two braided ground straps. I was thinking they went under the engine but figured out they went up top and hooked to the coil pack bolts and after I fixed that it started right up! I wish I would have joined this forum earlier cause it would have saved me a lot of time if I had help
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I like the cut of your jib there kid. I wish more kids your age would do what you are doing instead of doing nothing. What do you want to do for living when you're done with school?

Quick Reply: New to the forum! 17yrs old and doing an engine swap. Any advice?