Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

My 1993 ZJ finally passed California smog!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default My 1993 ZJ finally passed California smog!!!

Damn...6 (test only) smog checks, 1 catalytic converter pre-test, 2 catalytic converters (the first one that was installed was only filtering less than 40% of the gasses and then THAT cat mechanic went out of business; hence the need for a 2nd cat), 1 O2 sensor, 1 set of new plugs and wires, and 2 fuel system cleanings (one seafoam and one in-house Jiffy Lube brand cleaner), and a couple of mis-diagnosed diagnostics all totaling ~$800.

I could have saved more money if the the supposed diagnosis technicians had pin-pointed the actual problem the first two times around.

From all the smog tests, only the NOx was failing. Then at test #5, the NOx had passed the 25mph test, but failed the 15mph test. The THEN likely culprit? Fuel Injectors. Having already seafoamed the hell out of the fuel system already, I was hesitent to do another cleaning, but it was doing that or buying new injectors at $80 a piece new (no local junk yards had my injectors in stock).

So I drive up to a local Jiffy Lube early this fine Saturday morning and asked the young lady (of the totally cool all-woman crew) and asked for a fuel system cleaning. She immediately went to work on it like she had been working on cars since first learned to walk. She said the chemicals they use are better than Seafoam for the injectors. I thought that was a bold statement, (for an in-house brand), but I played along. She set me up with a bottle of the magic elixir to my vaccuum line and had me revv the Jeep at 1500 rpm. The beast started to buck, stutter, gargle, and shimmy. Once she was done, the Jeep mellowed out. She then said to drive it highway for at least two exists and then have the smog test. $59 buck lighter, I drove off feeling sort of skeptical. But then the miracle happened. The Jeep passed smog...this time the low speed NOx test came in 100 POINTS LOWER than the max allowed! Before, it was holding at 200 points above the max.

I think I owe the woman a beer as well as all you other guys and (presumably) gals beers as well. At least now I have some time to look around for replacement injectors and take my time to find bargains because I JUST KNOW the California smog restrictions will be getting tighter in a couple of years. Especially since the state is moving to extend the 30-year old smog vehicle exemption AND will be starting to make it mandatory for motorcycles to be smoged biannually.

Now for my next Jeep adventure...fixing the AC and getting a new paint job!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If the "fuel injector cleaner" was connected at a vacuum line, it never touched the injectors. The only way injectors can be cleaned is a tank-additive or a pressure-cleaning rig attached to the fuel rail port.

I'm glad you made it through smog, but it wasn't from cleaning injectors.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:27 AM

Model: Cherokee

That's a story to tell...
Congrats for finally passing the California smog test...
Now you can enjoy wheeling to the fullest...
Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by solderjunkie
If the "fuel injector cleaner" was connected at a vacuum line, it never touched the injectors. The only way injectors can be cleaned is a tank-additive or a pressure-cleaning rig attached to the fuel rail port.

I'm glad you made it through smog, but it wasn't from cleaning injectors.
From what I was able to see was from the driver's seat, it looked like the vacuum line. But then again, she could have tapped directly into the fuel rail. All I know is that the trick worked. Now, my Jeep is free from the restrictive bond of California emissions....at least for 2 more years.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Congrats on passing. Maybe there's a lesson there for other Cali residents.