Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Jeep dieing while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep dieing while driving

Here we go. I have a 97 grand cherokee, 5.2. When your driving down the road it will radomly die. You can drive it for a couple of days with nothing happening but then it just dies. Have to pull over turn it off wait, then it will start right up. Changed out crank sensor last year, replaced pcm, back off bolts from firewall? It also is like doing a tranny drop when doing a right turn. At times???? Now last night when driving with cruise control on and you go up a hill, it will not keep up with the speed, the tac stays @ 2300 and the speed just drops?
Does anyone have any ideas that I can chase? I had a guy mention nutural safety switch???
Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Sounds like an issue in the electrical wiring from the PCM to me. Have you checked the connectors at the PCM, trans,and on the tps yet? Might look at the wiring loom coming out of those, as well as anywhere near any spots they might rub on any surfaces in the engine bay.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

A failing cam sensor will cause the engine to stall when it gets warm and restart once it cools down. Check the fluid level in the transmission in neutral. I guarantee you the neutral safety switch is not causing the problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 AM

Model: Cherokee

I have put electrical grease on all connectors. Wiring looks good, went through it yesterday.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7 L

Originally Posted by rodnshell
Here we go. I have a 97 grand cherokee, 5.2. When your driving down the road it will radomly die. You can drive it for a couple of days with nothing happening but then it just dies. Have to pull over turn it off wait, then it will start right up. Changed out crank sensor last year, replaced pcm, back off bolts from firewall? It also is like doing a tranny drop when doing a right turn. At times???? Now last night when driving with cruise control on and you go up a hill, it will not keep up with the speed, the tac stays @ 2300 and the speed just drops?
Does anyone have any ideas that I can chase? I had a guy mention nutural safety switch???
Had same problem with my '99 4.7L GC randomly dying. I got the computer repaired and it has been fine since.