Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Ignition Switch or Lock Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8 Stock Hemi
Question Ignition Switch or Lock Cylinder?

Hi All -

I've got a 95 GC Laredo (5.2 V8) and I just recently started having problems getting the darn thing to crank. I know its either the ignition switch or the lock cylinder because as I try to start up the key rotates forward and bottoms out with no attempt to start unless I back it up all the way to accessory and try again. I have to do this "dance" anywhere from 2-5 times before the beast cranks over. In addition, there seems to be a lot of play in the switch lock cylinder and I have to wiggle the key in and out of the cylinder periodically during the "dance".

I have also read on other sites as well as here that a faulty switch can cause stalling and I have had a couple of stall outs a few weeks before this "key dance" crap started (coincidence? I hope so...). No other "obvious" electrical issues seem to exist at this point, either.

My question is: am I looking at replacing the entire switch assembly (including the lock cylinder) or could I possibly get by with just swapping out the lock cylinder?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

S.I.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

I would have to say change out the whole assembly.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

My '94's cylinder looks to have been replaced at one time or another before I bought it. I'd say replace the assembly.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default The part between the cylinder and switch

I bought a new ignition switch and while removing the old one a piece of metal fell out. There is a part between the lock cylinder and the ignition switch which has a rod inside a metal part which acually turns the switch and the rod apparently also controls the switch somehow. The piece of metal that fell out is half of the part that actually turns the switch.

Maybe my old switch is fine. Can I test the switch while it is unscrewed from the column? Can the broke metal part be replaced. It may be that the broken part is just failing to turn the switch far enough to engage the starter and may be the same with a new switch.

Thank you I have a 98 Cherokee 6 cyl.

Last edited by showells; 11-08-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: forgot to mention vehicle year.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Greetings,

First post on this forum! SaintIves I was having the same symptoms you describe. In the end my key over rotated 180 degrees forward and got jammed. I had to remove the column trim panels and disco the main connector to shut it down. I did a search on a couple different forums and found that all that is needed is the lock cylinder. On mine the pressed on ring that engages the ignition switch had split (pot metal) and allowed the key to over rotate. A trip to Autozone and it was fixed in no time at all.