Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

'I bought a Jeep'

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 'I bought a Jeep'

Since moving to Australia, me and wifey have seen all these commercials from Jeep, where at some point a person says, "I bought a Jeep". Doesn't make much sense... but I guess you have to be a little crazy if you're a Jeep owner. I remember telling my sister that took my doors off on my '04 Wrangler and her first question was, "Why?!" My answer, which I think is typical (especially from a wrangler owner) is, "Because I can".

Anyhoot, moved to AU about a year ago and bought another Jeep. This time a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited. Not exactly my cup of tea but:
1) we won't be her permanently
2) it was affordable and the engine was like new
3) it gave me the slightly bit of patriotic feeling (though Grands were being made my AU since 1996 but oh well)

The low down:
1) A/C - compressor works, and was re-gased AND the low pressure line gets cold, but no cold into the cabin.
2) Dome lights won't work. One of the bulbs in the instrument panel is out.
3) Right Rear door won't open or close with the key fob. Works manually though.
4) Bit of pulsating when braking hard. I don't think this has ABS... and might be the rotors but not sure.

For the price, being in AU, and it being able to take us to some nice camp grounds and beaches, was well worth it. But now to do some digging. First off is the A/C issue. The cost to service here for A/C units start from $80 (just to re-gas) to $170-200 for a full diagnostic.

*Oh and I'm not a big fan of the "Grand" Cherokee side mouldings... Blah. I took them off since they were rattling a bit. Looks better without.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 AM

Oh. Here's one of the first commercials we saw:
Old 02-16-2014, 01:08 AM

2) Found broken fuse. PIA to get to... Didn't know there was a second fuse box inside... Then it was right (drivers side here) beside the gas (petrol) pedal so wasn't easy to get to. But voila! Simple fix. Thanks to all the posts about this on Jeep and Cherokee forums to get diagrams and info and such!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The first jeep I ever rode in was my uncle's ancient ****** with no doors, roll bar, and with the windshield folded down. Now THAT was a blast! We had to watch out for brush whacking our legs or taking our heads off. OH! and no seat belts. I almost got bounced out once. I was only about 10 years old at the time, but I think that's what made me want one. As he said, "It's the most fun you can have on 4 wheels!"

I personally spent too much of my life burning rubber on a drag strip before I turned to Jeeps.