Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

New tires for 99 WJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2006
Engine: 4.0
Default Help need tires!!!

I dont know if i am posting this in the right section. I am just trying to figure out if these new tires will fit my stock jeep wj without modification of if they require it, how much. I have a 99 Grand Cherokee with the stock 225/75/16s right now. I found a hell of a steal on some new tires with rims the only issue is they are 255/70/18. I just dont know if they will fit without rubbing and scrubbing or if I have to do any modification. I know the newer Wranglers come stock with the 255/70/18s. i am fairly new to the mechanical world of jeeps. I had an older xj before it died a horrible fiery death. Any help and advice is GREATLY appreciated.

a confused college kid
Jayson

Last edited by gsu0990; 02-05-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm pretty sure you're going to need a 2" lift for the 18's. I'm running 245/70R16's on my WJ and they just about fill the wheelwells. After all, you're adding 2" of rim diameter plus a larger profile height (70% of 10mm X2).

I have problems with snowpack and I'm thinking about adding a 2" lift just because of that. I deliver newspapers usually before the plows come out to play, and even after, I have to stick my driver's front wheel into snowbanks to get to people's mailboxes. That wheel's fender liner is now loose and rubbing on the tire. Actually the front half of it has been worn away.

On the other hand, I think your WJ would look really cool on 18's! I'm not an expert on this, but you may need to trim the front bumper a bit.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-05-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Thank you!!!

yeah i have been doing a little research and that is what i had figured, i just thought i would ask and see if anyone has tried to do it before me. What i found was 2" poly coil spring spacers that go into the middle of the coil and screw in. supposed to give me a full 2" lift. worst comes to worst i can always put them in and then go get a 1" coil spacer that goes in on top of the spring. i just bought them and will be putting them in this weekend along with the new wheels. 18's here i come!!! lol. i want to powder coat the rims black too. (eventually and rhino line the gray bottom plastic stuff)

on another note. the only other thing that i am concerned about is the speedometer not reading accurately cuz it being used to 16s and than adding 18s. i know it is going to be off. like i'll be going faster than what it will be reading. i know that is a lot to fix the gear ratio as well. so i will prolly use a GPS to know my correct speed.

by the way i am jealous that you get to play in the snow... I wish we got more than the occasional threat of a dusting lol. South Georgia folks lol. i need to get up to the mountains once i get all this done and go play

anyways i appreciate the info and the help.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My sister-in-law got snowed in at the airport in Atlanta. She said people down there don't have a clue how the drive in snow. THAT I can believe! The trick is good tires, keep your speed down (something people don't like to do.), and watch your cornering. Ice is a totally different ball game.

Come on up to Upstate New York! We'll teach you how to drive in snow! Jeff Foxworthy did a show here a couple of years ago. He was brought in from the airport in a blizzard by a local guy. His take on this was "If you can drive 60 mph in 3 feet of snow, You might live in Upstate New York!"

The funny part of this is people seem to forget over the summer. The first snowfall will find cars in ditches all over the place!

My take on your center coils spacers is don't do it. They tend to stiffen the coil and cause breakage in the upper and lower sections.

Good luck with your Jeep and have fun. That's what it's all about.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-09-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Default Soo?

Originally Posted by dave1123
My sister-in-law got snowed in at the airport in Atlanta. She said people down there don't have a clue how the drive in snow. THAT I can believe! The trick is good tires, keep your speed down (something people don't like to do.), and watch your cornering. Ice is a totally different ball game.

Come on up to Upstate New York! We'll teach you how to drive in snow! Jeff Foxworthy did a show here a couple of years ago. He was brought in from the airport in a blizzard by a local guy. His take on this was "If you can drive 60 mph in 3 feet of snow, You might live in Upstate New York!"

The funny part of this is people seem to forget over the summer. The first snowfall will find cars in ditches all over the place!

My take on your center coils spacers is don't do it. They tend to stiffen the coil and cause breakage in the upper and lower sections.

Good luck with your Jeep and have fun. That's what it's all about.

What would you recommend than? longer coil springs? just take the coil spacers back and try to get longer springs? or what? i am just trying to get a little extra ground clearance. we don't really have any trails down here that i ride or anything like that. And being i am a college kid, i am living on a college kid budget. so cannot afford to do a 1000 lift kit. I was trying to do what i could afford that would get me by. Well any help would be greatly appreciated as I am still new to the jeep mod world.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O Power Tech

Look for the spacers that go on top or on bottom
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeepheep1
Look for the spacers that go on top or on bottom
ok, i took the ones i had bought back. they were supposed to go in the middle of the springs.