Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

hopefully simple fixes....

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 V8
Smile hopefully simple fixes....

Hi, fellow jeepers, I just bought a fully loaded 2000 jeep GC limited, 150k miles from a guy I did a detail on his Mustang. Real happy with it for the most part but little things are starting to give me a headache. Here is a list of some of the items I’m trying to get fixed.

Right now all the dome lights are staying on all the time you are driving it. Pretty hard to see at night with the cabin lit up. I can turn them off with the control on the light stock on the left of the steering wheel. But then the dash lights are out also or very dim. Anyone know where I might get started to find the answer?

I can’t roll down the passenger side windows, front or rear, from the master control or the ones on their door. The driver side windows, front and rear, roll down, if not a little slow. Any suggestions for repairs?

The door locks do not work from the remote key fob or the master switch on driver’s door. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for the fix here?

Also, I can manually lock the 4 doors but how do I lock the rear tail gate when the remote key fob doesn’t work?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(WK)
Engine: 3.7

I be there is a problem with either fuses, wiring in/out of the door, and the interior light switch.
Check the wiring harness out of the driver door and make sure there are no cuts/damage. Hopefully the protection is still in place.
I would replace the interior light dimmer switch or check it.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Interior lights staying on is a sure indication that a door is not latched or the switch in the door is bad. Does your overhead VIC say if a door is open? On the WJ, 00-04, there are 2 latches on the hatch. BOTH need to be latched to turn off the interior lights. If you can figure out which door switch it is, you can just disconnect it.

I would say you also have broken wires in the driver's door umbilical cable. Right now, if the driver's door on my WJ is more than 1/2 open, nothing operated by the door console works. it's fine when the door is closed. I'm just praying it doesn't get worse until it's warm enough out that I can take it apart and fix it.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-12-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default thanks for the suggestions

Hey, guys, thanks for the really good suggestions. The crazy thing is the windows on the driver's side, front and rear, do work from the driver's controls on the door. I'll check the two latches on the rear tail gate. The overhead message display says nothing about an open door. But I'll check the window and rear tail gate. Before I bought the jeep, my mech guy had to take off the control panel on the driver's door and simply cleaned the connections up and plugged everything back in. And everything worked fine for a couple of months. But the memory for the driver's seat doesn't work, so that may be part of the problem also. Yet I'm going out of town to deliver a car my granddaughter has bought from me. So it may be a month before I can get my jeep in to get looked at and repaired. Again thank you for the help.I'll keep you posted.