Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

help! GC WJ Door Lock Issue!

Old 10-27-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default help! GC WJ Door Lock Issue!

HELP!!!!!! (2000 GC WG Laredo)

My key no longer works in the driver' s side door. ( The only exterior lock on the entire Jeep)
The key does not even wiggle! PB Blaster did not work, even after penetrating for a long while.
I had to break into the Jeep with my radio antenna as a slim jim today.

From the inside, all power locks and switches and door handles work just fine, so it's probably not a fuse or actuator issue.

Until I figure it out or replace the lock cylinder, I don't care if all four doors and back window are unlocked- that's not an issue where I live.
I would leave all the windows open too if it wasn't so rainy. The problem is that it is way to easy to accidentally lock the doors and have no way back in.
(My used Jeep did not include the remote key fob- I plan on ordering one, but I need to prevent disaster (and embarasment) until then)

***********I need the forum's help************

I need to disable the power locks as to prevent accidental lockage by me, by my elbow, a parking attendant or a friend.
At this point, I would rather climb through the unlocked back door then have to slim jim into my own car with my useless key in hand.

Pulling the fuse will also disable the windows and console, so that's overkill...

I plan on removing both front door panels tomorrow and detaching the power door switches from the door instrument panel while inspecting the lock cylinder for damage.

Please let me know if you have any insight or advice or better ideas to prevent lockout!

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Engine: 4.0

Maybe remove the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith to repair or get a replacement (new or used) and have a locksmith re key it so you can keep your original key.

Max
Old 10-27-2015, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Engine: 4.7L

Do you still have your owner's manual? In it you will find the procedure for enabling/disabling automated features.

If you do not have one then I (or maybe some one of many helpful forum members) will scan theirs and send copy.

I have to ask. Was your GC ever re-keyed and/or have you attempted to use your spare key? This action may prove if your key or lock is at issue...
Old 10-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I do plan on replacing/repairing the cylinder, and while I do not have the manual I have disabled the auto lock as per the OEM instructions... That 's not really what I am asking though.

**What I want is to remove electrical power entirely to the lock switches on both driver and passenger side so that to the orange/black slide is the only way to lock and unlock and the action of one door does not lock or unlock the others. ****

Pulling the fuse is not a good solution as that also disables the windows.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, I'm in the same situation with the key lock, although I still have BOTH key fobs and they work. You can buy a key fob from Mopar Parts and have it programmed by a locksmith or the dealer. I think your best bet is to remove the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith for repair or buy a new lock cylinder and have a locksmith re-key it to match your key. With the locksmith, you'll probably need proof of ownership before he'll do it.