Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

hard pull to the right

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default hard pull to the right

hey gang I have a 99 grand cherokee 4x4 with the 4.7 and am experiencing hard pulling to the right when driving. pull almost goes away when brakes are applied and does not change whether coasting or driving. i have replaced all the tie rod ends they were loose, had a professional alignment done to it inspected front hubs and ball joints they are good im at a loss here what to do. there are a few things that i could think of tires they arnt new and will need to be replaced in the next 5-10k or i have about a half inch sag on the right front end the spring is loosing its spring weight. I plan on replacing the springs with a small spring lift 2 inches at most and replacing the tires when i do the springs but i cant for the life of me find a for sure as to why i am still experiencing this pull any help, pointers, directions would sure be appreciated im out of ideas right now thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 PM

Also forgot to mention when I replaced the tierods and got it aligned it helped a lot but didn't completely fix the pulling
Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Cross the front tires and see if the pull goes to the left.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM

i would say possible a sticky caliper on that side... but holy hell you would have some fried brakes..
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

A broken belt in a tire will cause it to pull. But it should also vibrate.

Do what Bustedback says.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:59 AM

Year: 2002

Tires and stuck caliper could cause that and I would hope that the alignment shop you used would have pointed out anything else on the steering components you may have missed prior to performing the alignment. With that said, I would try rotating the tires as mentioned. And if swapping the 2 fronts don't work, try moving the rear tires to the front and see if that helps. Also, if you have a known spring issue and cannot afford or have time to replace the springs right now, try a set of spring spacers just to set the height back to even and see if that solves your problem. They usually ride like crap with them but, they are fairly inexpensive and pretty quick and easy to install.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Update guys so I tried flipping the front tires like Bustedback suggested and now it pulls to the left so it's got to be the tires no worries like I said before I plan to replace the springs and the tires in the very near future fishbone thanks for the tip on the spacer but I will be replacing all springs and tires soon just need to get thru this next month once again thanks to all you guys for chiming in!!!!!!!

On an unrelated note anyone know off the top of your heads if the plenum is a solid piece or sealed against the fire wall I am experiencing water not coolant leaking onto my right floor board where it's supposed to drain thru the firewall I've already checked the drain in the engine compartment it's clear this only occurs when the a/c is running I understand what's happening but all my experience with plenums are in xj's where they are cast as one piece including the drain nipple that sticks out thru the fire wall just wondering if it's the same in the wj's or if it's a different setup that is sealed against the fire wall trying to educate myself a little before I tear into once again any help, advice, tips, would greatly be appreciated
Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

If it's a broken belt it could blow!
If you goota drive it put it on the rear!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM

King fisher thanks for the input I inspected the tires when swapping them did not see any indication of a broken belt I know there isn't always one however I did notice mild cupping on the tread most likely from the loose tierods allowing the tires to wander a little I will move to the rear to be on the safe side or at least safest I can till I can get new ones it's just a to and from work ride right now only travels about ten miles a day max speed 30 miles and hour