Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Got it home - the fun begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Got it home - the fun begins

So I finally convinced my Dad's neighbor that after three years of sitting, his sons were not going to get the '93 GC running again. $500 later and it was sitting on my car trailer waiting for a trip to the car wash.

Name:  kayleejeep2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  53.0 KB

$10 at the carwash and it cleaned up decent enough. I spent the rest of Sat afternoon pulling out dry rotted carpet from the back and about a mile of old stereo amp wiring.

Today I spent the day removing the fuel tank to clean it out and check the pump. The bolts holding the tow hitch all sheared off except one. It decided to break loose the captured nut and just spun....ugh! An hour and six Sawsall blades later and I finally got the fuel tank out. I tested the fuel pump and sure enough - it's dead.

I started my laundry list of items to repair/replace and will be headed to the scapyards this week. You can't see from the photo, but the right front fender is pretty nasty. Apparently the previous owner nailed a parked car late one night after a couple rounds at the bar. He bolted but didn't realize the front bumper was lying in the street. Cops showed up and found his license plate. Took them about an hour to locate him and haul his azz off to jail for DUI and fleeing the scene of an accident. Classic.

This is my first jeep build so I'm not sure where it will end up taking me. For now, I plan to get it drivable and work my way up from there. Wish me luck!

Mark
Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Good luck with your build... appears to be I6 ???? didn't see any V8 markings.. Triel to buy one very simular a 97 with 165000 on the dial that doesn't run.. guy wants a grand for it.. Turns over but no start... I'm tring to talk him down some.. I told him I just bought a V8 94 for $800 that ran, but he wasn't impressed.. LOL oh well I need another project like I need a hole in my head... LOL
Old 02-06-2012, 06:38 AM

It's got a 5.2L V8 with 196000 mi on the odometer. Turns over OK and will fire on gas poured down the TB. The radiator overflow tank is missing and a vacuum line for the cruise control is broken appears to be all that is wrong under the hood. The interior is the worse part of the whole vehicle - some people are just natural born SLOBS!!!! The glove box latch was broken so they duct taped it shut. When that failed, they tied a rope from the defroster vent to hold it shut - Redneck engineeering.

Mark
Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Congrats on your purchase Mark. It looks good, and that was a heck of a deal. Good luck on the rebuild.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

Goodluck and congrats..I baby my jeep, i need a jeep just for muddin and climbing..I found a club in my hometown and cant wait to get my jeep muddy
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Found a RF fender, fender liner, RF marker light, front bumper, radiator overflow and a few misc interior pieces today at the scrap yard after work for about $200. Last peice I need is the front header assy and the RF turn signal to complete the body. Next is the fuel pump. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent pump (Bosch or Carter) at a reasonable price?

Mark
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Slowly making progress getting the GC road worthy. I pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it, replaced the fuel pump, the vapor valve seal and the tank hanger bolts. Rewelded captured nuts on the bumper brackets.

Name:  DSC00702.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  44.9 KB

Cleaned up the interior and scrounged up some new interior parts for the console. By the way, if you ever change out the glove box latch, be sure to find one in the right color up front. I found a grey one for my tan interior and decided to disasseble it to get just the lever out. BIG MISTAKE!!! Some spring shot out of there - 1/2 hour trying to find it and 1 hour trying to reasseble it. PITA!!!!! I found a new front fender, bumper, header panel and marker/turn signal lamps. The RF bumper mount was trashed so I drilled out the spot welds and tech screwed a replacement on.

Name:  kayleejeep3.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  53.0 KB

Right now, I'm awaiting any info anyone can give me on another thread on the Security Alarm module. I found it under the back seat loose when I was cleaning the interior. I'm not sure where it belongs of if I even need it. I know I still can't get the jeep to start but I haven't really dug too far into troubleshooting that yet.

Name:  DSC00705.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  28.8 KB

Mark
Old 02-12-2012, 12:56 AM

Engine: 5.2

ON my 94 zj the Vehicle Thief Alarm is behind the glove box.. in the dash.. check here for a manual download, best i've found only 7.95 per year..
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...anual-download
Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 PM

So I got the alarm box reinstalled. It was suppossed to be tucked in behind the golve box. This entails removing the entire dash and glove box assemblies. The alarm box is the one furthest to the left.

Name:  DSC00710.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  64.7 KB

I ended up with the alarm going off as soon as I hooked the battery back up. I tried the door keyswitch override but it didn't work. I opened the LF door panel and found the switch lying in the bottom of the door. A quick snip and wire nut and the alarm didn't come on again.

With this completed, I was able to see fuel injector pulses with a test lamp. But no fuel in the cylinders - no go I pulled the fuel injectors and sure enough, they were all gummed up. I whipped up a little soaking rack and filled them with Seafoam for 24 hours

Name:  DSC00708.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  58.5 KB

This got 6 of the 8 working like a charm. The last two had to be heated with a heat gun and worked a little bit to get them working properly. I cut a couple female spade terminal disconnects in half right up the middle to plug onto the injectors so I could test each one.

I put it all back together today and - - - IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She fired up and sounds like a BEAST! It is such a releif to hear it running.

Also today - New front brakes and rotors, changed the oil and front diff lube.

All that is left now is:

Tranny fluid/filter
Rear diff lube
Coolant
Assemble front header/grill
Add driving lamps
Carpet in cargo area
Battery
Tires
Registration
Plates
Insurance
Lift kit
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

That's great to hear.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
JWG

Engine: 4.0 I6

Congrats on your build.. Would like to see some new pics?

Congrats again man!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Sweet!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 PM

I finally completed all the fluid changes on the GC and got it running reliably now. I had some wiring issues at the PCM which involved some splicing and lots of heat shrink tubing to cover bare wires.

Name:  DSC00713.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  79.8 KB

The interior cleaned up reasonable well along with the exterior; unfortunatly the clear coat is peeling off in several places:

Name:  DSC00712.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  DSC00711.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  63.6 KB

But much to my surprise today I find this on the back liftgate when I came home from work:

Name:  DSC00714.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  33.3 KB

When I asked my soon-to-be-16 year old daughter where the volleyball magnet came from, she replied "I thought it would look good on my Jeep!"

Did ya catch that? "MY" jeep!!!!!

Apparently she has laid claim on my project! Well, how could I resist those beautiful brown eyes and killer smile. So my project has been....sidelined for a while. I agreed she could drive it while I put some $$$ away for the lift kit, new tires/wheels and such.

Mark
Old 02-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Luvnevryminutofit
I finally completed all the fluid changes on the GC and got it running reliably now. I had some wiring issues at the PCM which involved some splicing and lots of heat shrink tubing to cover bare wires.
When I asked my soon-to-be-16 year old daughter where the volleyball magnet came from, she replied "I thought it would look good on my Jeep!"

Did ya catch that? "MY" jeep!!!!!

Apparently she has laid claim on my project! Well, how could I resist those beautiful brown eyes and killer smile. So my project has been....sidelined for a while. I agreed she could drive it while I put some $$$ away for the lift kit, new tires/wheels and such.

Mark
That was nice of you. Always good to see parents pay attention to their kids :P
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

I guess you better start looking for another project. After all, she likes it, it's safe, and it was cheap. Those things don't usually happen on the same vehicle.