Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Gauges and windows not working...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauges and windows not working...need help!

[QUOTE="doutlaw"]Hello:

I tried to search this problem, I only came up with a couple posts, none of which had any real answers.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cyl. My wife mainly drives the car and a couple weeks ago she reported that the gauges quit working while she was driving, all the idiot lights came on, cel, voltage, no gas, etc., yet car stayed running. She also noted that when this happened the power windows would not work either. The gauges and lights would come on and off randomly. At first I didn't get involved right away, but then the overhead display quit, thus we are no longer able to tell how much fuel is in the car without filling up and trying to track it.

I did some searchs, some said cluster may be the problem, but if that's the case why the windows? Also found some suggestions about the ignition tumbler; suggested I try jiggling the key, which I did but did nothing. I checked connections on the wire harness right above the wheel by taking off the moldings around the steering. I have little eletrical knowledge, so trying to "trace a short" will probably not be possible for me. I did also find the ground strap under the hood was pretty beat up so I replaced that, but still nothing.

Any suggestions? I really don't have the money to take it to the dealer and I am afraid taking it to a mechanic without some kind of idea of the problem will cost me hours of labor trying to find the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I would still suspect the ingnition switch. See if you have voltage at both sides of the fuses for the gauges and windows.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Used engine just put in less than 79kmiles onit jeepersCreepers 60mm TB, '99-'01 intake, BorlaHeader

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I would still suspect the ingnition switch. See if you have voltage at both sides of the fuses for the gauges and windows.

X2
Old 12-27-2020, 07:41 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Any update on this... having same issues
Old 12-28-2020, 10:40 AM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.0

Could be the body control module, it controls the windows and the gauges went bad on the 2000 jeep that I had replaced it and all is good !
Old 12-28-2020, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by jeep58
Could be the body control module, it controls the windows and the gauges went bad on the 2000 jeep that I had replaced it and all is good !

thought same think went to junk yard and replaces still haveing isssue... leaving battery disconnect for 10 min fixes problems for a bit then returns
Old 12-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.0

Make sure that the modules pins are tight, when put mine in it worked fine then the problem started again checked the pin connection it was loose tighten and all is good, Are you certain the bcm that you got is the right one for the jeep and is it good. I do not know how to test them. I was having the same problem and the bcm fixed it.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeep58
Make sure that the modules pins are tight, when put mine in it worked fine then the problem started again checked the pin connection it was loose tighten and all is good, Are you certain the bcm that you got is the right one for the jeep and is it good. I do not know how to test them. I was having the same problem and the bcm fixed it.
one trick I have seen is to make sure the pins are tight then zip tie the connections to the BCM so they stay tight.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 PM

Any fix? The same thing is happening to my 1998 zj now. The gauges and windows stopped working. It did it before while driving in the past where the gauges would die and the bounce back on and I thought it was the wires that feed into the door from the body which I wiggled before and got hit and miss results from but it's not working now.

Last edited by Jon93; 01-14-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:57 PM

turns out there was a short in the gauges, 12 hundred bucks later and its fixed.