Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Gauges quit, come on and off

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Gauges quit, come on and off

Hello:

I tried to search this problem, I only came up with a couple posts, none of which had any real answers.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6 cyl. My wife mainly drives the car and a couple weeks ago she reported that the gauges quit working while she was driving, all the idiot lights came on, cel, voltage, no gas, etc., yet car stayed running. She also noted that when this happened the power windows would not work either. The gauges and lights would come on and off randomly. At first I didn't get involved right away, but then the overhead display quit, thus we are no longer able to tell how much fuel is in the car without filling up and trying to track it.

I did some searchs, some said cluster may be the problem, but if that's the case why the windows? Also found some suggestions about the ignition tumbler; suggested I try jiggling the key, which I did but did nothing. I checked connections on the wire harness right above the wheel by taking off the moldings around the steering. I have little eletrical knowledge, so trying to "trace a short" will probably not be possible for me. I did also find the ground strap under the hood was pretty beat up so I replaced that, but still nothing.

Any suggestions? I really don't have the money to take it to the dealer and I am afraid taking it to a mechanic without some kind of idea of the problem will cost me hours of labor trying to find the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Remove the covers from around the column and look at the electrical connector that goes into the ignition switch, look for burnt terminals or melted plastic at the switch and connector.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:48 PM

Okay, did that and couldn't find anything wrong. Jiggled some wires, etc but still, no change.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I am really at a loss here.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Anyone have any other ideas???