Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Front left squeaking noise. Brakes or bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front left squeaking noise. Brakes or bearings?

My 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo has a squeak from the front left that is linked to speed, lightly applying brake makes it go away. Its not there every day but it seems to squeak more often than not.

Usually do my own work but due to freezing cold and having the flu last December took to garage to have the front left half shaft changed b/c you could see that the u-joint was about to go. The front left was doing the same squeaking thing then too(and had been more and more for a month or two) but I just thought maybe the pads/rotor were dirty.

Anyway, they had to change the bearing too. I thought all of the growling noise I was hearing was the half shaft but since could well have been bad bearing noise too. Along with that noise going away the squeaking went away too. I guessed that maybe it was because the brakes got blown off/cleaned by the mechanic when he removed the caliper but now that it is back I'm wondering if maybe they used a cheap bearing or torqued it wrong.

Anyone here have this same squeaking and if so did you ever figure out what it was? Going to get the front on jack stands tomorrow and see if there is any play in the wheels. Not sure what else to try but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Most likely the brake pads are worn out.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM

They are getting there for sure. Last time it made this noise they had a fair amount left on them. Can cheap pads cause that, even if they aren't worn out?

Will change them first anyway and see what happens.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The front bearings are sealed units and fairly easy to change. Depending on the mileage, You may want to change both. All it requires is the axle nut and three bolts and removing the caliper.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

The pad slides don't promote movement very well. Once they aren't smooth, the pads will get stuck a little bit even after the caliper retracts. And in a lot of cases the pad will rub against the rotor. Try cleaning and attemp to polish the pad slides, caliper slides (just clean and lube). Also some brake pads cause jamming because some companies put to much paint on the pad plates, and sometimes they just flat out don't grind excess metal out of the slide channel. Wet brakes, overheated brakes, rotors that are too smooth (almost to the point of being mirror finish), if the caliper piston or slides don't fully retract then it can't cause squeaking. The bolts for the hub are 13mm 12 point. I don't suspect a hub though but hey I can't hear it so don't hold me to that

Last edited by JJCIII; 08-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by JJCIII
The pad slides don't promote movement very well. Once they aren't smooth, the pads will get stuck a little bit even after the caliper retracts....
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. I jacked the whole jeep up and checked all the brakes and wheel bearings yesterday. No play in any of the bearings and the brakes look good EXCEPT the outer pad on the front left wheel is half the thickness of the other front pads which makes me thin it was getting hung up like you suggest. I did clean them and put a bit of caliper grease on the pad slides so we'll see what happens

I hate to change all the front pads because one is worn out but I guess I'll have to before I get it inspected. She's not due till December but I want to get it done before deer season starts this year...last thing I want to think about when I'm hunting is how I ought to be working on the jeep.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, I had this problem with my 97. I decided to bite the bullet and buy new bushings and rubber boots for all the calipers. I was amazed how inexpensive they were. Very easy to change as well. I just pushed the bushings out, collapsed the boots, and pulled them out. They were a little stuck to the caliper with rust, but after twisting them, they came right out. When I installed the new ones, I lubed them with high temperature copper-based anti-seize because I had it. It worked well. 2 years later, I sold the jeep. End of story.