Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Expert Advice Needed Jeep Diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 Hemi
Default Expert Advice Needed Jeep Diagnostics

2000 Jeep GC Limited

So im starting to have problems with my jeep, money is tight so i have learned to fix most things personally, with the help of internet and forums like this.. Now this past summer my AC stopped working, Mechanic said my AC has a hole somwhere. He put a few cans of Freon or whatever its called to see how long it would last. It lasted about 2 or 3 months. So idk how bad the leak is. I don't think i could fix this myself..

Now recently my Heat stopped working Right when its stating to get cold! Based on the error codes it must be the faulty, cheap, plastic blend doors. Witch I found a cheap fix for online for $150...

My power windows in the front, manly the driver window its extremely slow, more so going up than down. Sometimes its fast sometimes its slow, but always slower than the rest

Last but not least, and this rarely happens... Mostly after letting my GF drive >.> It's starting to seem a little jumpy with the gas. Its rare that it happens, but scares me when it does... even thou its a tiny delay. Is my transmission going?

Now is my jeep dying at 146k miles? or is it just a old man that needs TLC? What should i look out for to prevent or catch problems before they start or get worse?

Thanks for any answers, i have more questions but these are most important right now!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2 V8

Just my .02:

AC freon is $12 a can or so at Advance. Add it yourself and save a shop fee. I had a money pit Camry I did this to. Just added a can every two months and skipped hunting down whatever O-ring was worn. Eventually, it will get worse, then you'll need repairs but that could take quite some time for it to get that bad.

It sounds like your driver's side power window motor is wearing out. Not surprising for 11 years old.

Sounds like your Jeep is sound, just getting to the age when some repairs are going to be needed.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Thank you for the reassurance, ive put about a grand into this car cosmetic wise and i was starting to wonder if i was wasting my money. I don't know much about mechanic work.. Swapping batteries, breaks and rotors are the extent of my knowledge.. Im trying to learn... but cosmetic work is E-z. thanks again.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Follow all the ac lines, if you find one leaking it will most likely have a oiley substance around it, because ac systems use oil, it will leak with the freon. Main place I see these leak are the condensor, in front of the radiator.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Thanks a lot! that's a Great tip should make it easy to find. Are they easy to replace? i guess ill find out.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Model: Cherokee

you can get freon with a uv die in it, so you can use a blacklight to find the hole, It's how I tracked down a leak on my sister in laws Liberty.

its usually a condenser issue, they are out right in front of the radiator and subject to road debris.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM

I love how mechanics make things seem a lot more difficult than they really are. This is one example, and another example was when one of my headlamps went out. I talked to 3 diffrrent people at Advanced auto and a few other people and they all told me i had a short and to see a mechanic and it would be expensive for him to find a short. I jumped on here and asked a few questions, somone said FUSE. I went out to my jeep found the second fuse box i didnt know was there and now my lamps work and i didnt spend a dime.

Im sure anyone with a brain can fix the leak once its found right? thanks alot for the tip.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

To "legally" repair the leak, 1st - find it, 2nd - you'll have to have the system
evacuated (removing the freon), then repair the leak, #4 - have the system vaccumed
out (removing all the air from system, #5 - then recharged.
Needed items reclaimer for #2. Vaccum pump for #4. Gauges for recharging.
Oh, and the freon (134A).
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 AM

*goes to look for the opposite version*