Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Exhaust leak

I have an exhaust leak and my car shuts down while it's running, even on the highway the engine will just cut off.. Sometimes if I hit the gas it will get power and continue to run. Sometimes it doesn't start unless I give it gas, I've gotten a tuneup, serpentine belt replace, oxygen sensor replaced, valve cover gasket replaced & the ignition coil replaced... What could be going on?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:29 AM

well.. you could have an alternator problem if its cutting off while driving.. means your car is probably running on the battery and dying when juice is unable to provide a hot enough spark... tell me, do you have to recharge a lot? if not, then its probably not the alternator

ooh, might be a fuel delivery problem... check the pressure of the gasoline at the fuel rail.. if its too low you may not be able to feed the engine enough and it could stall... so there may be crud built up in the fuel lines.. but if you have pressure on the fuel rail you should try to clean or replace the injectors

lastly... when was the last time the air filter was changed?... if the air filter has dirt crusted on it, then air wont get in to feed the engine and itll choke it

see.. you need 3 things for an engine to run.. the proper air/fuel mixture, spark, and timing.. i doubt timing could possibly be the cause if it runs at all, so check fuel rail pressure, injectors, and air filter...

Last edited by animus_divinus; 06-11-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Thank you!! The problem ended up being the computer for the jeep!! It wasn't mounted properly and whenever it moved, it would cut power to the car. Even in park, I touched it while the car was running and it cut off, the last owner must've tampered with it because it was being held on with a bungee cord. I'm not sure how all of the mechanics missed that one. Lol
Old 06-23-2011, 01:58 AM

yeah.. you know when vital parts of your car are held on with bungy cord that the previous owner must have been an idiot