Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

electrical auido power problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical auido power problems

i just put two 12'' subs and an 800 watt amp....my jeep keeps hesitiating to turn on i am wondering could my alternator be too small or is it the truck itself for example the starter
Old 03-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Im guessing your new system is drawing too much power from the batt while running causing the batt to be worn down hence the longer start. Im no expert on systems but look into (IIRC they are capacitors), a better battery (optima blue), and/or a better alt with better wiring.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, 63mm TB, FIPK, Gibson Exhaust

Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
Im guessing your new system is drawing too much power from the batt while running causing the batt to be worn down hence the longer start. Im no expert on systems but look into (IIRC they are capacitors), a better battery (optima blue), and/or a better alt with better wiring.
do not think you want a blue top optima, those are marine use batteries, a yellow top would be a good choice it is designed for deep cycling and still has plenty of CCA to start the heep on a cold day.

Even with a deep cycle battery you probably need to look at upgrading your altenator to a bigger unit or you will just slowly drain any battery you put in it.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by tsconver
do not think you want a blue top optima, those are marine use batteries, a yellow top would be a good choice it is designed for deep cycling and still has plenty of CCA to start the heep on a cold day.

Even with a deep cycle battery you probably need to look at upgrading your altenator to a bigger unit or you will just slowly drain any battery you put in it.
Yellow top is what i meant
Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM

a yellow top is no good to use as a stand alone battery in a car. it is made to completely be drained and he charged again, not what a car does. I have had issues with yellow tops and cars, you go through them real quick. my suggestion is to get a red top optima, a cap that is a 1.5f or a 2f, and a better alt. you can use one out of a 95 dodge ram 1500. all you have to do is move the spacer to fit yours. it is a 130 amp instead of the stock one. that should give you enough power.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mudman
a yellow top is no good to use as a stand alone battery in a car. it is made to completely be drained and he charged again, not what a car does. I have had issues with yellow tops and cars, you go through them real quick. my suggestion is to get a red top optima, a cap that is a 1.5f or a 2f, and a better alt. you can use one out of a 95 dodge ram 1500. all you have to do is move the spacer to fit yours. it is a 130 amp instead of the stock one. that should give you enough power.
I disagree, the yellow top is design for cars, it does not need to be deep cycled, it can be used for starting, true deepcycles do not have a lot of CCAs likethe yellow top and OPtima says on their page they are made for cars with high amp draw applications like winches and audio.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by mudman
Red top = starting battery
Yellow top = everything else
Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 AM

I am going to have two batteries in my Xj. A red top for my main starting and a yellow top for my fogs, winch, etc. I looked into the optima batteries alot before deciding on what to use for my main battery.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:31 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7L V8

Don't waste money on a cap. might put a band-aid on your problem, but won't properly fix it.

I've got a great article for you to read about capacitors, but I can't find it at the moment....I'll post it when I find it....

Later.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by WJCraig
Don't waste money on a cap. might put a band-aid on your problem, but won't properly fix it.

I've got a great article for you to read about capacitors, but I can't find it at the moment....I'll post it when I find it....

Later.
Caps are only for spikes, big bass hits, ac compressors kicking on to keep full power to amps, not to provide constant power.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 AM

Well I guess the 6 years I have been doing this has not taught me nothing, LOL.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: V8 4.7

personally, I think you didnt put the battery cables back on tight when you were finished.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 PM

i checked everything on it... still havent figured out the problem... it cranks the first time and on the second turns on like a champ ????
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM

You tried turning the key in the on position to give the fuel pump a chance to prime?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by tsconver
Caps are only for spikes, big bass hits, ac compressors kicking on to keep full power to amps, not to provide constant power.
Not the article I was looking for, but this will give you a very good explanation of why you shouldn't waste your money on a Capacitor. A long read (6 pages), but a good read. Check it out:

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHY YOU DON'T NEED A CAP!

Sorry if I've wandered off topic a little....

Later.

Quick Reply: electrical auido power problems