Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Did Hard Reset-Engine Turns-Won't Start

Old 06-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0
Smile Did Hard Reset-Engine Turns-Won't Start

Hello,
After a few times of coming across this forum and reading posts, I decided to join since I might find some Jeep advice for a newbie...
Earlier this evening, I was out for a neighborhood drive in my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. When I parked at home, I noticed the 'Check Engine' light had come on, so I decided to try a hard/manual reset instead of exercising common sense and waiting until next day to go to mech for reset. When I disconnected the battery connectors, the negative connector was a bit loose and I had to find just the right position for it back on the battery post. It took several plus attempts to get them both fastened tightly on the posts, and start electrical system.

What comes next is the issue: When I attempted to start my vehicle several times, it would turn over yet wouldn't fully start so I can go get the codes cleared properly (irony is my mech is two blocks away ). All the panel lights came on as they should, and the engine turning over sounded good. My guess is that by doing the hard reset x7+, I threw the computer off balance or could it now be a fuse issue?

KelleGG3
UPDATE: As of this morning, the Jeep started 100%. Resolved itself overnight. Now eating crow lol.

Last edited by KelleGG3; 06-06-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Updated