Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Dead Dash, Electric Issues & General Disarray

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Wagoneer (FSJ)
Default Dead Dash, Electric Issues & General Disarray

I’ve got a 95 Cherokee Wagoner that’s having some serious issues after replacing the battery, alternator and tensioner belt... I received it back from the mechanic to find the dash, radio and all my instrument panels dead! (No tachometer, speedometer, fuel or temp gauge - nada, nothing - I’m flying blind)

The guy says it’s gotta go back to jeep to have the computer replaced?! She’s a 30 year old jeep and it just doesn’t seem prudent to invest that kinda money on something I dont intend to fully restore...

Are there any tips, tricks, hacks, secret jeeper knowledge on how to resolve this electrical issue without getting a dealership involved? Is it worth trying to fix? What caused the issue? And will it recur?

Please share your knowledge with me before I give up and just decide to sell her. I only paid $800 for her in Feb. and spent $600 on repairs this month. I’m about done hemmoraging money into another unreliable fix.

Thanks in advance for your input! -m
Old 07-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

I program replacement PCM's for Jeep's and Chrysler products but for something that old all you need is a trip to the junkyard in most cases. There's no programming needed on those earlier computers if you don't have factory anti-theft all you need to do is match your part number to one in the yard there is a decal on the side of the module to identify it the flash programming will be the same. If it needs to have the VIN paired for factory anti-theft I can help you with that.

There are no new PCM/ECU's, all a dealer is going to do is sell you a used re-manufactured computer that was already someone's problem for more money than the Jeep is likely worth at this point your better off pulling one yourself they generally cost less than $50.00 at you pick yards or about a $100.00 on Ebay or from salvage operations that pull and inventory parts.

Last edited by Waterluvr; 07-21-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 PM

You don't program anything sparky. You edit VIN with your Autel scan tool. That is a far cry from programming. Tuck in your nose Pinocchio.

Originally Posted by Waterluvr
I program replacement PCM's for Jeep's and Chrysler products but for something that old all you need is a trip to the junkyard in most cases. There's no programming needed on those earlier computers if you don't have factory anti-theft all you need to do is match your part number to one in the yard there is a decal on the side of the module to identify it the flash programming will be the same. If it needs to have the VIN paired for factory anti-theft I can help you with that.

There are no new PCM/ECU's, all a dealer is going to do is sell you a used re-manufactured computer that was already someone's problem for more money than the Jeep is likely worth at this point your better off pulling one yourself they generally cost less than $50.00 at you pick yards or about a $100.00 on Ebay or from salvage operations that pull and inventory parts.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks Reekor! Someone needed to knock this guy down a peg. He dumped on me saying I didn't know crap. Well I may not know the language, but I know how it works.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:06 PM

I just distroyed this idiot at the jeepforum and he cried like a little girl. Fed him his own medicine and he cried poison He tends to pull much of his facts out of this butt trying to make him self seem like a know it all. The mods are keeping an eye on him waiting to hit the ban button.

This will put a smile on your face.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...dryer-4318701/

Originally Posted by dave1123
Thanks Reekor! Someone needed to knock this guy down a peg. He dumped on me saying I didn't know crap. Well I may not know the language, but I know how it works.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, that bit about "serial posters" is verbatim what he hit me with. This is, after all, an opinion forum and should be read as such. I'll always try to tell someone what I think is the problem and if I don't know, will say so. I've probably spent a couple of hours reading the FSM to get an idea of how something is designed to work for my own knowledge! It has helped me understand when something's wrong. Anything that has worked for me, I pass on. I'm not infallible, I do make mistakes, and I may not get the language right but, hey, that's my opinion!

BTW, that 95 Wagoneer is a Renix, right?

Last edited by dave1123; 08-04-2018 at 12:51 AM.