Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Cooling fan switch to mount in a easier place to get to...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cooling fan switch to mount in a easier place to get to...

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 motor, Just purchased 3 days ago.

Q: The cooling fan switch is under the headlight and you have to take the whole grill and basically everything else off the front to get to the switch.

Some videos online show that it is in a box or compartment mine is not it is just mounted on the metal tire well inside and under the headlight.
---------------------------------------------------------------
My question is this, once apart the switch has 2 bolts and is just mounted to the inside of the tire well of the metal with those 2 bolts. Since I have read they go out every 15 to 20k miles I was wondering if I could just mount it on the other side inside the tire well?

It is completely out of the way and I put a piece of foam over top of it to protect from water/something hitting it? It is still the same way installed just instead of inside it is outside affixed to the same holes and mounted to the same piece of metal. I don't off road or really worry about most things hitting it more I worry about water from tires when it rains but I have it completely covered with foam and it the plastic guards are covering the area too and it is waterproof around it. Just wanting to know if it "could" be okay or bad idea all together. Thank you in advance
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, get the foam off it. All the foam will do is hold moisture in. I think you could mount it anywhere there is a piece of metal to bolt it to. The problem is the battery is close by and I don't think the wires are long enough to get it out from under it. It is a sensitive piece of electronics and needs to be kept dry but doesn't need cooling.

BTW, my WJ has 154K on it with the original relay so the 20K rule is bogus.