Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Changing oils - need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Changing oils - need advice please

Greeting to All Members.

I’ve recently purchased G.Cherokee CRD 2.7 Diesel 2004. It has 75K miles. I wish to change differential oil, transfer case oil and automatic gearbox oil. I read a lot of info regarding the recommendations but as more I read, more confusion arise. So, here are some questions :
Is it OK to use Valvoline Transmission Oil (High Performance Gear) Oil GL-5 80W90 for both axels? Or better to put SAE 75W-90 API Quality Grade GL-5 in front (or in both axles) ? No towing no heavy duty use.
Do I need to use Limited Slip additive for both axels? Or only front, or none ?
I have Quadra-Track , so I’m going to use recommended Mopar 05016796AB oil for Transfer Case. (MobilFluid 424 can alkso be used).
This vehicle has Mercedes 2.7 CRD diesel engine. Jeep manual does not recommend any Automatic Transmission oils, for this car, only for petrol versions. Which automatic gearbox oil should I use?
Thank you very much in advance for clarification from experienced Members. Cheers
Old 03-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, welcome to CF! The major problem is there are only a handful of members that have any experience with diesel jeeps because we couldn't buy them here in the US. Likewise, we don't even know for sure what transmission they put behind them.

Also, It's very helpful if we know what climate (location) your jeep is being used in. My '00 Grand is used as a daily driver in Upstate NY with temperature extremes in all seasons. It's a 4.0 petrol engine with 242 t/case and standard differentials. I use Valvoline SYN-power Full Synthetic 75W-140 gear oil in both diffs. This is designed for both high and low temperature extremes and has a limited slip additive in it. I would think this gear oil would work best for you as well. Thank you for choosing Valvoline. I once worked for Ashland Oil.

There are a couple of guys here on the forum that I've talked to from the UK who own diesel jeeps. Let me do some research and I or they will get back to you. Go to your User CP and fill in your info so others will know what location and jeep you are talking about.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to find any info from the forum. I did find the trans is a 5-speed which is not the standard US version for '04. The source also said something about it having locking differentials. It probably means it has Quadra-Trac II (NP247) t/case. IDK.

Let me tickle the ear of a friend. Maybe he'll get back to you.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just follow the OEM recommendations, you should be able to get them directly from Chrysler. People have a million different opinions on oils/lubes etc. but the manufacturer recommends certain weights for a reason. I would suggest that the difference in quality between most major brands is minimal. JMO
Old 03-03-2015, 05:07 AM

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your inputs. I’m based in London (UK), how ever this Jeep G.Cherokee CRD 2.7 diesel goes to Spain for my use over there. So, the climate I would say is hot….
I spoke to local dealer in London, but he was very reluctant to give me some info. No surprise, they wanted over £ 950 to change oils in both differs, T-Case and automatic transmission. This job I can do myself easy, if I know the oils sepc.
So my decision is to put Castrol Transmission Oil (Syntrax 75w140 1ltr - Limited Slip Diff (LSD) Fluid) in both axels. I’m not sure if I still need Friction Modifier ?
For T-case this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jeep-4x4-T...item2347441ab9
For automatic transition (I think it is the same as Merc W211 2.7 CDI) I will use Merc spec for that gearbox and new filter.
So, finally only one question remains – do I need the Friction Modifier ? Cheers
Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Hi I attached the documentation from Valvoline for all the fluids (unfortunately in pdf it was too big, so I only can upload it in txt) . Also The link can be useful for all other Jeep types.
http://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com

Also this link can be useful, though not every brands selector is English.
http://www.olajwebshop.hu/oldal/olaj_valaszto/

I hope you'll find what you need
Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Many thanks for the above. There are still some "no recomecdation available". But any way, Thanks. I have Quadra-trac limited slip differencials , so I think I know know what to put. Cheers
Old 03-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

You Are very welcome
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Old fart with a wrench

The friction modifier can't hurt. Basically, what it does is make the friction plates in the limited-slip clutches release easier and not hang up. In a standard differential it helps with lubricity of the gears. It's been used for years to extend the life of a standard gearset.

The synthetic gear oil you chose already has the friction modifier in it. No need to add more.

Last edited by dave1123; 03-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:29 PM

Many tghanks to all who contribited to my thread. I did the job today. I have learned that the differencials are "OPEN". There were plates atached to the covers . Both had 80w90. However, I have already purached 4 liters of Syntrax 75w140 - for Limited Slip Diffs. So I put it in, I hope this will not damage my diffs ??? Cheers